did Buick make a K63 model in 1920?

Guest ewing

Guest ewing

There is a 1920 McLaughlin Buick for sale nearby and the owner calls it a K63 model. I don't see that in the standard catalogue of Buick.

what is it?

post-37461-143138499304_thumb.jpg

post-37461-143138499307_thumb.jpg

post-37461-143138499309_thumb.jpg

Guest ewing

learning more about the McLaughlin, but not much info out there.

I do see another reference to a 20 McLaughlin K63 , on the web ;one was bought by the Moose Jaw, SK police dept at that time.

I assumed it was a McLaughlin Buick as history is that GM bought Mclaughlin motor car co in 1918. ...

Interesting how the Buick and McLaughlin model #'s seemed similar , yet still selling as separate car brands.

So McLaughlin kept making cars for ( a few??) more years.

Would the 20 McLaughlin then have the same motor and running gear as the Buicks of that day? ( parts interchange etc)

Anyone know?

This looks like a great car with some Buick heritage.

This car is more akin to the Oakland (Sensible Six) of the same year. It even says Oakland on the oil pressure gauge, and it is the original unit. As far as I know, there are no Buick parts utilized anywhere, that is why it just says McLaughlin on the hubcaps, and elsewhere.

It has a Northway engine and Delco electrics.

Guest knuckle head

I have the same car in Ontario. Originated in Saskatchewan. Also has Oakland oil Gauge, But I have a steel Dash panel. #2 by 4 inch tires.

Oakland repair manual necessary for repairs

Henry Eggengoor

MBCCA Member

The engine on the thumbnail is a Northway six as used by Oakland from about 1916-23 and for a short time, Oldsmobile and Scripps-Booth. It is quite a bit smaller than the Buick engine (177ci vs 242). The Buick engine has covered valve gear from 1919. I don't know about McLaughlin's production but I am guessing they built these to fill the gap left by the lack of a smaller model in the Buick range until the new Buick Four came out for 1922.

• 1 year later...
Guest TrevorOU

Does anyone have any additional pictures of this car? or of the Northway six?

I'm trying to improve the originality of my 1919 Scripps Booth, but there are very few pictures out there of engines.