1st Gen Driveshaft Info

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I think I know the answer but want to double check. Is a Dynaflow shaft longer than than the ST/SP400 shaft?

Has anyone ever upgraded the carrier bearing in the center of the shaft for something heavier duty? Same question on the upgrade of the CV joints?

I know that either would require a completely new shaft but that's where I'm at with my Riviera after swapping the trans for a relocated 4L80E and the rear axle with a 8.625in 30 spline 10-bolt out of a 91-93 B-body.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that the dynaflow is a shorter transmission and therefore would require a longer drive shaft.

Question.

Why would you trade a 9 3/8" ring and pinion for a 8 5/8" ring and pinion. (I thought most of those B bodies came with 10 bolt rear ends. Most 10 bolts are 8 1/2"

Just curious :)

Ed

I'm pretty sure that the dynaflow is a shorter transmission and therefore would require a longer drive shaft.

Question.

Why would you trade a 9 3/8" ring and pinion for a 8 5/8" ring and pinion. (I thought most of those B bodies came with 10 bolt rear ends. Most 10 bolts are 8 1/2"

Just curious :)

Ed

Largely because of the non-existant selection of rear gears for the stock 9 3/8in rear axle and it's funky pinch bolt bearing retension. I also want to make use of some of the more modern positraction devices, particularly the Detroit True-Trac. I did try to figure out how to put a Ford 9 or 9 3/8in center section into the Buick rear but the mounting flanges are very very different in depths and you'd basically have to mount the Ford center section inside the Buick housing.

The 8 5/8in 10-bolt was an update used in later 10 bolts in trucks. Other than the difference in the diameter the diff carrier bearings have a slightly larger inner diameter but the overall gear sets and carriers interchange with proper bearings. The hold up will be if they make the 8 5/8in gear sets with provisions for the pinion mounted ABS reluctor for the Bosch 4U ABS system. I have a whole system from a 94 Impala SS (last year before it was moved into the Body Control Module) that I will eventually attempt to integrate.