Help with a1930's? Austin

mattg

Hi,

I think the vehicle is an Austin Sixteen from the Six script on the rad which distinguishes it from the 12. OG189 registration was issued by Birmingham County Borough Council (UK). It is not quite clear from the records when OG189 was actually issued but it seems mid 1930. It seems that 7258 was reached by January 1931. Will ask our experts for more.

Regards

Vintman

Hi,

Thanks info on the reg. Still makes it 1930. Have now had an aswer from one of our coleagues who is the Chairman of the Vintage Austin Register and he advises as follows:

Hi Bozi, Glad to be of assistance. The truck is an Austin 16/6 and according to the Car Number (6TT 15159/6) It was originally produced as an open tourer - hence the second 'T' = 'tourer' (a 'C' would indicate a 'closed' body, an 'S' a 'special' with coachwork supplied by one of several Austin-approved coachbuilders, and an 'F' - a 'Fabric' saloon). The first 'T' which follows the number '6' simply indicates that it is an Austin Twelve Chassis, as the 16/6 and 12/4 chassis were the same. The /6 or L6 following the various numbers (Car, Chassis and Engine indicate that it is a 'Six-Sixteen' rather than a 'Twelve'. According to my records it was most likely to have been built between August and September 1930, but, to be sure, ask your contact to scrape away some of the grease and muck from the flat which he will find machined on the rear of the rear axle differential casting, where he should find stamped, the date when the chassis left the chassis assembly area to have its bodywork fitted. I trust this has been of some help to you, and don't forget that the Vintage Austin Register, has many new spare parts for this particular model should your contact be considering restoration. Cheers for now. Best regards. Jim.

Wonderful bit of info for which thanks to Jim. Hope it helps.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

Edited by Vintman (see edit history)

So what I am going to be restoring is a 1930 Austin 16/6 Tourer converted pickup!

Was there a company that converted cars in England after thewar? I ask because searching for info I came across a few trucks with almost Identical frame construction . The steel framing for the spare is to similar to be a backyard build. There is one going to auction Saturday at this link (lot 541).

Richard Edmonds Auctions - 26 March (search results - page 1 of 1)

Edited by mattg (see edit history)

A lot of big saloon cars in England where home converted into pickups during WW2 to get around a loop hole in the petrol rationing regulations.

Private cars had a tiny ration per month but 'commercial' vehicles could get more fuel, so a lot of people did backyard chop jobs yours looks a more professional job but it could be a wartime special.