Steering shaft needed

carljensen

I don't think its the same guys. 1926 - 1928 Stutz cars used Ross steering gears. They switched to Gemmer in 1929. Pierce Arrow, L 29 Cord, and a few other cars used the same steering gear, but they're getting hard to find, and are getting expensive. You can try Odyssey up in Minnesota. I sold them a complete Pierce Gemmer steering gear with the column a couple years ago. They were only going to use the box part and may have the rest still laying around. But again, this was from a Pierce, so the shaft part may not be the same. I sure hope to see your yellow roadster in Indianapolis in 7 weeks.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

I am pretty confidenthat the Ross box shoul fit the mountings of your chassis. Miy cars use ross, but I did gather an M chassis frame with the Gemmer still mounted. (I gave this with front and rear axles and some wheels from the same car to a friend who could have been in a position to rebuild a car; but when he had to shorten his inventory when he moved a few hundred miles, some idiot who got it strangely expected me to contribute substantially to his restoration budget to re-own what I had given). The best way to obtain a missing original part is to run a car with an incorrect substitute: Nobody will criticise you for driving to a meet, having been compelled to use something that is wrong for the model. At the same time, a lathe is the most basic and essential piece of equipment when you are restoring an old car. A high quality geared head lathe with 4 ft between centres, a spindle brake, and both metric and imperial lead screws (No matter the written instructions may be in ChEnglish), is probably small fraction of the ultimate value of the car or the cost someone else may charge to make bits for you. Pierce 8 of the same year cannot be used as an entity because it mounts by a flange rather than a clamped tube.