54 Firedome Questions

OzBogan

Hi all i just bought a 54 DeSoto Firedome as my new resto project. Had a few questions wondeirng if someone could help with

First is there a site or information on body plate numbers? Color, trim, date of manufacture etc?

Also, behnd the LHS rear window pillar mine has a little grille/snorkle thing. Its forward facing and then elbows into the rear LHS quarter panel. It looks like it belongs there. Does anyone know what this is for?

Thanks

Ben

Hi all i just bought a 54 DeSoto Firedome as my new resto project. Had a few questions wondeirng if someone could help with

First is there a site or information on body plate numbers? Color, trim, date of manufacture etc?

Also, behnd the LHS rear window pillar mine has a little grille/snorkle thing. Its forward facing and then elbows into the rear LHS quarter panel. It looks like it belongs there. Does anyone know what this is for?

Thanks

Ben

Can you post a photo of the "grille/snorkel" item?

I think you are in for a "big" surprise. I think that scoop is connected to a giant air conditioning tank over the rear wheels. Are there any air conditioner controls on the dash or under the dash?

That is the air scoop for the air conditioner. The evaporator unit was in the trunk back then. There should be outlets in the package deck with ducts to direct the cold air forward. The compressor must have been removed years ago when it stopped working and someone did not want to spend the money to fix it. Is the condenser still present, in front of the radiator?

It is possible someone put the scoop on there to kid the neighbors that he had air when he didn't. But I consider this extremely unlikely.

If you can give us the numbers off the ID plate and the engine number or take pictures of them someone should be able to translate them for you.

Photos are good. Everyone likes photos.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thanks for the replys. Theres was no Condensor or AC lines that i saw in the vehicle. I wasnt really looking though, I hate AC lol. The old guy said its been sitting for the last 10 - 15yrs so it may have disapeared.

Here are the numbers, my camera doesnt take good close up pics

VIN on drivers door jam : 64018619

Model : LA

Body : 32

Paint : 372

Trim : 384

TR : 5

SO : 1

SFO No : 15

Sched : 60

Body No : 4206

There is a tag attached to a screw on the body tag that just says Los Angeles.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bob Call

Oz

Here is a link to a 56 DeSoto parts car on ebay. Look at the pictures. You will see the air inlet scoop on the left rear quarter (like your 54), the air outlet grilles on the package shelf behind he rear seat, and the evaperator box in the trunk, or is it boot, with the Chrysler AirTemp tag. Back then Chrysler made not only auto a/c units but commerical units for buildings.

DeSoto | eBay