Old 50s Chrysler - picture

Guest Dean_H.

Guest Dean_H.

Noticed this big old car sitting next to a building in Merced, CA a few days ago. When I stopped to look at it, a guy wandered out and said hi. I complimented him on the neat old Cadillac. After a short pause he corrected me "it's a Chrysler" ...Doh.

Anyway, he said it belonged to his dad and they'd like to get rid of it, but didn't know how much. There was no motor in it and the interior was rough, probably cost too much to restore, but still kinda cool to look at.

oldchrysler1.jpg

1000.jpg

oldchrysler.jpg

oldchrysler2.jpg

Guest Jim_Edwards
Noticed this big old car sitting next to a building in Merced, CA a few days ago. When I stopped to look at it, a guy wandered out and said hi. I complimented him on the neat old Cadillac. After a short pause he corrected me "it's a Chrysler" ...Doh.

Anyway, he said it belonged to his dad and they'd like to get rid of it, but didn't know how much. There was no motor in it and the interior was rough, probably cost too much to restore, but still kinda cool to look at.

The body looks to be in excellent shape with the possible exception of the passenger side front fender. It appears some sort of minor accident may have taken place given the missing trim and the little dimple in the trim above the bumper. Certainly something worth tackling. Finding an engine and going over the interior doesn't really represent that much of a financial challenge and since the body appears to be good, even giving it a fresh paint job would not break the bank.

If it were here in Texas I'd jump on it, just because I've never done a Mopar.

Chrysler New Yorker was an excellent car. Comparable to Buick Roadmaster, Lincoln or Cadillac at the time. Famous for the Chrysler Hemi V8 engine, many were removed for hot rods so not much chance of finding one reasonable.

You could repower it with a later 318 or 360 V8 and make a fun project out of it. Has very little value in that condition. Should be able to buy it for a few hundred. But whatever you spent on it would be written off for a hobby.