1930 dd carb kit ???

Guest k9rick

Guest k9rick

just pulled the carb of my 1930 dd, it has no numbers on it . it only says zenith usa . anybody know where i can find a rebuild kit? thanks k9rick

The Zenith would not be original, although it MIGHT be a better carb than the original.

Zenith from 1935~1980 had a round tag about the size of a dime riveted to the carburetor.

Zenith from about 1980 and newer have a stamped number in a semi-circle. The numbers are tiny. The height of the numbers is about the width of the lead in a number 2 lead pencil. The entire number can be covered by a garden pea.

Before about 1935, you just have to know. Identification is exceptionally difficult, and probably exceeds the value of the carburetor.

Jon.

Guest Knucklebuster

From what I found the '30 DD had a Carter 159S brass bowl carb.

carbkitsource says looks like this.

thecarburatorshop says its a Carter RT-08.

Didnt research to see if they had one, they have kits but....

if finding this is like finding parts for mine, I have to say good luck.

Saw a few old ones on the bay but didnt look at them all.

Im still learnin so maybe this will get clarified by someone more knowledgible.

post-67224-143138473686_thumb.jpg

Take it apart, inspect the valve/valve seat, look for wear, let it soak, make your own gaskets, there isnt much to these carbs and chances are you will get lucky enough that is has only varnished the inside and a good cleaning might do the trick.

I guess before letting it soak determine the material is is cast from, be carefull how long you let it soak or maybe dip it and blow with compressed air.

Guest DodgeKCL

I'm not so sure about the DRT-08s not having a brass bowl. I had a '29U and '31PA Plymouth and both had Carter brass bowl updraught carbs as original equipment.

If I remember correctly the '29 had a Carter DRT-09 which was just a better version of the '28Q's DRT-08. But both had cracked bowls ,which is common with those bowls, and I replaced them with,I was told by the flea market sellers, brass bowls from Chevs.

The brass bowls went away with the '32PB Ball and Ball BB-1s.

I'm not so sure about the DRT-08s not having a brass bowl. I had a '29U and '31PA Plymouth and both had Carter brass bowl updraught carbs as original equipment.

If I remember correctly the '29 had a Carter DRT-09 which was just a better version of the '28Q's DRT-08. But both had cracked bowls ,which is common with those bowls, and I replaced them with,I was told by the flea market sellers, brass bowls from Chevs.

The brass bowls went away with the '32PB Ball and Ball BB-1s.

The Carter DRT-08 has a brass bowl. I have a couple of them for my 1931 Dodges. One is the original equipment from my first '31. Chevrolet Carter RT-08 items also had brass bowls.

post-37352-143138473818_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138473828_thumb.jpg

Carter produced approximately 200 different carburetors with brass bowls. Going from memory, there are 23 different TYPES or MODELS.

The RT-08 is one of the types or models. There are several different "tag" numbered RT-08 units.

The 1931 Chevrolet was tag 150s, model RJH-08 (or if manufactured by Chevrolet model C-RJH-08).

Good luck on finding an RT-08 with tag. The original tags were red cardboard.

There are at least two different brass bowls which appear alike in pictures, but are not interchangable.

Dodge used both the RT-08 and DRT-08 types.

Jon.

Guest Knucklebuster

Wow sorry for gettin everyone excited. I just thought if I "tried" to help that the real knowledge would come out. Im trying to learn too guys.

I apologize.

Carb King is a definite place of knowledge. Website has helped a few folks I know here in okiesville.

Guest Knucklebuster

I didnt mean aggression at all. I was glad to see the responses. Like I said when I first joined, this is bench racing to me and if you want a discussion quickly say something your not well versed in and the truth will soon be shown to you. :)

I love this place. Its like a lake of knowledge and Im just a sponge here for a soaking!

Quote .......I didnt mean aggression at all........just saw this post, my mistake, I thought by the way you worded your post that you noticed people engaging in argument.

• 8 years later...