'56 steering column removal?

Guest NikeAjax

Guest NikeAjax

I decided to pull the steering column on my 1956 Century to paint it and fix the horn button wire, but there are some dastardly wires connected to it, are these all connected to the fuse block, I hope, are these easily disconnected?

Jaybird

Before you start if pays to make a sketch detailing where each colour wire is located.

The wires on the horn contact and nuetral start switch just pull off. The other bunch of wires are for the indicators and you need to drop the fuse block in order to pull them off.........there are a couple of terminals with 3 wires each plus some single wires.

Koala

Guest NikeAjax

Thanks mate! For some stupid reason, it never occurred to me to drop the fuse-block, DOH! The forest for the trees... as it were. I'm going to get my camera down there and take some high res. images, mmmm, digital camera, goooood!

Cheers!

Jaybird

Guest NikeAjax

Oh $#!+, what have I gotten into! This is a big can-o-worms! The collar/band that the wire is soldered to is shattered, so I have to rip it all apart. How much tension is that spring for the shift lever under, well I guess I'll find out soon enough, gulp!

Jaybird

Guest NikeAjax

To quote Kevin Spacey in American Beauty, "I totally rule!"

5477226231_c1805a3b11.jpg

On the left is the old shattered collar for the horn wire. On the right is the new one I fabricated from a piece of .015 sheet stock brass; the dent you see is where the wire gets soldered on. WOW, I had no idea where I'd even find this part if I couldn't make it. It'll be nice to have a horn after, mmm, 20 years! I formed it on an 18mm socket.

Jaybird

Jaybird

That is nice work and a good idea! If you can document the process with pictures and description I will put it on the Low Tech Tips for Mid 50's Buicks page of my website with proper credit of course.

I have in the past used copper plumbing (pipe) parts to fabricate with some success. I have one now that needs replacing (groan) and have been putting it off for a few years...I did need the horn a few days ago to remind someone how stupid they were.:D

Willie