early Buick key lock

ramair

I have been reading the recent thread on transmission lock keys and thought about the Delco control panel in my 1916 Buick. Has anyone had luck finding or making a key that will work ? The little bit of research that I have done which is studying reference manuals for different years and models I think all models from 1915-16-17 look like they have the same keyhole which the hole is shaped like a skeliton key would go into it , but it does have a unusual guide pin the is centered in the slot. With this evidence we can figuire that the key is small , the shank is round, it is hollow, has a tooth that projects down. The latter Buick that still had this style of control panel had more of a conventional key slot, but I know not what year it changed, thank you, Michael

Michael,

I think the key is a barrel key and the end has a small gear that goes around the barrel. I have only seen pictures of it in the parts book and one at Hershey that the seller wanted $200.00 which is too rich for my blood. If you want a picture of it, send me your email address and I will look for the picture and email it to you.

Larry, Thank you for the info. I would love to see a picture of the key, but I do not know how to work all the fetures of this site so I cant send you my Email without putting it up for all to see. I think I have seen your name on Tryon's Buick McLaughlin roster if so I am listed there as well as the Horseless Carriage Club, Thank you, Michael