Finding the selling dealer

junkyardjeff

I would love to find the dealer that sold my 37 chevy p/u when it was new and does anyone know if GM still has the records,the dealer is probably long gone but would be nice to know who it was. I did find out it was made at the Norwood Ohio plant and was a local truck but thats all I know.

Does your local library have old phone directories for your area? You could look there to find out what dealerships were in the areas as a possible starting point to see where they were and are they still around.

If not then you might want to check with your local phone company and ask them how to get in touch with the local chapter of the Telephone/Telcom Pioneers. They are a service organization within the phone company and many of them have maintained a library of old phone books. The chapter I belong to here in the Charleston, W. Va. area has a museum which includes books that go back pretty far. :)

When I get the chance I will go to the town the truck was from (20 miles south of me) and do some snooping to find out more about the company that originally owned my 37 and see if there were a Chevy dealer in town. Our main downtown library does have a bunch of stuff in the basement and will need to spend a saturday doing some looking,I will have to do it before it gets warm or will be a next winter project.

Guest Silverghost

Your State will most likely be of lttle help as most State DMV's refuse to give out that sort of information anymore.

Many states now claim to have thrown-away records much older than ten years or so !

It was a much easier job to trace a car's ownership before the newer privacy laws !

Good Luck in your search !