Sign in to follow this  
Julian

59 Ford engine..

I disconntected the vacuum advance and plugged it. It DID run at idle although somewhat rough but was idleing. Two other issues I discovered was two wires literally hanging on by threads (strands) one from the ballast resistor to the coil and the other from the coil to the distributor. I decided to change it all. put a new vacuum chamber on it, new coil, new ballast resistor and repaired the wires.. But not started it yet. HOPEFULLY that will fix it and then all I will need to do is smooth out the idle with the air/fuel mixtures and curb idle screw.....

Yeah, old wiring can be the source of many issues. Fifty some year old wiring really should be replaced whether under the hood or under the dash, but most of us don't set that as a high priority unless the rodents have been chewing on it to the point repair is impractical. Old wiring jackets, particularly plastic insulated, can be the source of many, many operational issues, just like old spark plug wires can be shorting out all over the place from jacket failures.

Obviously replacing the wires, coil, and vacuum advance motor are going to improve things, but if the heat riser and choke are still failing to allow the butterfly on the carb to fully open when it should things are not going to be satisfactory. Automatic chokes of any nature seem like a good thing, but regardless of the heat source that is supposed to release them, they are always potentially problematic. A good argument in favor of good old fashioned mechanical chokes.

Jim

A good argument in favor of good old fashioned mechanical chokes.

The little 59 six banger has a mechanical choke.. starts right up and runs like a champ...nothing fancy there...and as "Larry the cable guy" would say...."gets-er done"...

A good argument in favor of good old fashioned mechanical chokes.

The little 59 six banger has a mechanical choke.. starts right up and runs like a champ...nothing fancy there...and as "Larry the cable guy" would say...."gets-er done"...

It's been years since I drove anything larger than a lawn tractor that had a manual/mechanical choke. But as I best recall one only had to use the choke for a few seconds and then like my lawn tractor it was normal carburetor operation thereafter. Stupid automatic chokes running on a heat riser or heat chamber take forever to release and the same is true for a coolant temperature operated choke. Both wasted a lot of gas! Electric Chokes? Not significantly better!