1932 Buick Trim and Paint Codes

Guest Bandit305

Guest Bandit305

I've got a 1932 Buick Model 67 and the body tag shows a trim code of 114 and a paint code of 285. Can anyone tell me what they mean? Thanks, Chuck

The paint code 285 means that the car was originally painted Commodore blue with Imperial black molding and window inserts. Stripe is Riviera cream. Wire wheels are black. Wood wheels commodore blue.

That's all I have. The trim number is the interior. I don't have that listing.

Trim code #114 is Bedford Cord, Gray color, Headliner is flannel Gray color.

Anyone working on 32 Buick's should contact Mac Blair and purchase a set of his old newsletters that he published in the late 80's and early 90's. They contain a wealth of information and details about the construction of 32 Buicks.

Bob Engle

• 5 years later...
Guest Porterboys

Just purchased a 1932 Buick 4 Door Sedan with following Body Tag Info:

Job No  32509

Body No 3184

Trim No 114

:Paint No 286

32 Mod 57  Built on Feb 12, 1932

Additional body plate on frame is 2626947  Vin on paper work is: 2778157.

So far all I have been able to determine based on the Trim No is: Grey Whipcord, Avail on Models 56, 56s, 57s, 58, 66, 66s, 67, 68.  So I am assuming I have a 57S. Would like to know what the differences are between the 57 vs the 57S. Any info on the number of these built in 1932. What Original Color would have been. Would appreciate any info or directions to info about this car. Also looking for the Ph. Number to the 1932 Buick Registry to see if Mac Blair could help educate me on my new project.  Car in pretty good shape, not rusted out, wood frame pretty good, It is believed to have come out of Texas originally. Thanks in advance for any info.

Fisher job number 32509 is for Buick model 57, so you have a model 57 not 57S.  The thing with trim codes is that their availability by model changed throughout the model year.  I've seen years with over a dozen revisions of the trim and paint code forms, which is where I got the information that I used to make the trim code list you used.  You could also special order things.  I will update my trim code list to include model 57 on trim 114.

Model 57 was the base model 4 door sedan.  It came with 10 spoke artillery wheels.  It did not have the gravel deflectors in front of the rear wheels. 57 had black painted horns with only the bell chrome plated. The 57 only had one tail light on the left rear.  The ride regulator shocks were only available as options on the 57, but standard on the 57S. Headlamp mounting brackets and taillamp brackets are black painted on 57 while 57S are chrome plated. 57S had carpeting in the rear.  Base price for the 57 was $995.  57S was  $1080.  All available paint schemes could be ordered on all models as an option.

Bob Engle

Guest Porterboys

Sean & Bob, Thank you both for all of this information, Sean, where can I find the Fisher job numbers that you referred to in your answer.  As I am very new on Buicks like this I am wanting to learn as much of the history of these cars as I can and even compile a note book for myself for reference material.  The car I bought appears to be a numbers matching, has the two spare tires on the fenders, and the wheels are wire spoke not wood. Rear of car is also carpeted. it has gravel deflectors, It also has the trunk on the back.  I guess these are all option upgrades. LOL, it looks like who ever the original owner was should have bought the 57S with all the items it appears to have had added, I don't think he was far off. Also where can I find what the original color for this car would have been?  Thank again for all of the info.  I am looking forward to starting the process of getting this car back in spectacular condition.

Does it have Black horn domes and black headlamp stanchions?  Does it have a right rear tail lamp?  Does the car have ride control shocks?  

As stated above from the cowl tag, 286 Paint code is King George Maroon with Black fenders, and body moldings Black.  Gold and vermillion  pinstriping.  Black wheels 

Buick offered 2 different maroon colors in 1932,  It is extremely difficult to determine a correct color for these old cars.  All of the old paint chip charts are color shifted to the dark side from age.  Finding parts on the car that have been totally hidden from light are about as close as you can get.  

Buick listed a color scheme for each of their 26 models in 1932, but any car could be ordered in any of the paint schemes offered as an option.

On top of the original paint schemes, Buick had mid year additions that offered fenders and moldings in different shades rather than black.

I suspect that this car may have gone through a restoration to have all those upgrades.  

Your VIN number is most likely the engine number found stamped on the passenger side just under the cylinder head on a machined boss forward portion of the block. It was common to use engine numbers in early years for title registrations.

How about some Photos?  We all love photos.

Guest Porterboys

Bob & Sean

Thanks again. You have given me additional information I have not been able to locate as of yet. Had located the color, but nothing regarding the black fenders and pin striping, so very glad to get this. The car is still rough and I have not been able to find out if any restorations have been done to it prior to our purchase.  The Gentleman we got it from is suppose to come by later this week where I can pick his brain some more and get some additional parts (ie floor pans etc.) he has. He sold us the car as he is in his 90's now and just isn't going to be able to put this one together.  We have been told it has just been stored pretty much inside as much as possible to min. weathering but there is wear. I don't think it has the car ride control shocks. Pictures I have at this time are minimal. Planning on getting some serious photos this weekend. Will post a few of what I have. I will look for the number on the engine as you suggest. Pictures below....she's still rough but will be beautiful as we can get the time to work on her. Thanks again for all of your help.

20160719_155544_resized_1.jpg

20160719_155607_resized_1.jpg

20160719_155629_resized_1.jpg

20160719_155620_resized_1.jpg

20160724_122934_resized.jpg

20160719_155554_resized_1.jpg

I see it has black horns, single tail lamp and no linkage on the steering column for ride control.  It's missing a lever on the center of the steering wheel.  It does have the clock in the glove box.  It had  a heater installed at one time.  It seems that they always mount them right through the cowl trim tag.  

The front floor boards are plywood and fairly easy to make.  I can help with patterns when you need them.  The car has the full rear bumper which is a hard part to find.  Many cars when restored are converted from rear spare mount with split bumpers to side mounts with the single piece rear bumper.  I don't think the trailer hitch is factory correct!!

Feel free to contact me for any info.  Just send me a PM and I'll provide my email and a phone number.  I've been researching 32 50 series cars for 17 years.

Bob Engle

Guest Porterboys

Thanks Bob, I will get with my husband Greg on everything. That's really interesting about the heater.  You guys have helped me more than anywhere else I have looked.  I was really surprised that I am not finding as much information about this car as I am, for some reason I really thought my search for information was going to be a lot easier than it has been so far.  The car is in another building stored right now for us, we are working on getting other projects out of the shop at the house so we can get the '32 home where we can start documenting it and figure out where we want to start first.... I think right now Greg is leaning toward getting the motor back together and running first, then we will go from there. Thanks again. Have a Great Day.