THE LITTLE GREEN CAR SEES THE WORLD

Guest Rob McDonald

Guest Rob McDonald

Cute Buick story from my local newspaper: http://www.miguelitoslittlegreencar.com/blog/

This photographer stages his "Johnny Lightning" '72 Riviera with famous and not-so-famous people. He's planning to grow the collection over time. Please ask Mr. Obama to cooperate, if this guy calls.

post-59990-143138426079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

DEREK, thanks for fixing the link to the story. It worked when I first loaded it but that's probably because I was still connected to the Journal's website.

BILL, only time will tell if President Obama will be known more than being photographed with The Little Green Car (if he does).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leroyschulz
Please ask Mr. Obama to cooperate, if this guy calls.

Yes please! :)

I'm the photographer that's working on this project. Rob, I take it that you're in Edmonton as well? Do you know of any 1972 Buick Rivieras in Edmonton -- especially one that's green? I'd love to get a photo of the die-cast car with the real thing.

Cheers everyone.

[L]

Guest Rob McDonald

LEROY, imagine meeting another Edmontonian here! Yes, I am suffering the ice and cold along with you, although today was actually survivable. Unfortunately I don't know where to find the owner but there is an amazing '71-'73 Riviera here in town, which is painted the same grassy green as Miguelito's much-travelled toy. The car is incredible, with air-bag low-rider suspension and very tasteful customized touches. I often see it on Whyte Avenue in the summer. Call the Driving editor at the Journal and ask for Dan Wells' phone number. He's a free-lance photographer, who recently did the piece about vintage Cadillacs parked in front of Cafe DeVille on 124 Street. Dan knows where most of the special cars are hidden in Edmonton.

Guest leroyschulz

Hi Rob,

One of my friends in Texas pointed out this thread to me. Funny how those connections go, hey? :)

Thanks for the pointer about the Riviera in town. I'll contact the Journal and see what I can dig up.

By the way, CTV called earlier this week. I'm lined up to do a live interview about the green car project on tomorrow's Canada AM project broadcast coast-to-coast. If you're interested, the interview airs at 7:45 AM local time.

Funny how a small toy car has opened doors like it has.

[L]

Guest leroyschulz

The segment with me actually aired at 8:45 AM in Alberta, not 7:45 as I was told. It's already online at Canada AM - Canada's Most Watched National Morning News Program. Click the "A toy car is connecting people around the world" link on the right.

I did contact the Edmonton Journal's driving editor yesterday and they replied saying that they would pass my email onto Dan Wells. Hopefully I hear from him soon. Thanks for that suggestion.

[L]

Guest Rob McDonald

LEROY, when you hear from Dan, please ask him to call me. He has my number. Until you find the real thing that prowls the southside on hot summer nights, here's some company for the little one.

(Thanks to 75RivGS for the image, from AACA Photo Gallery)

post-59990-143138444707_thumb.jpg

Guest leroyschulz

Will do. I'll ask him to call you.

Thanks for the full size car image. I'm looking forward to finding a real Riviera and shooting the toy with it.

Cheers.

[L]

Guest Rob McDonald

DEREK, now there's a brilliant opportunity for Leroy! The new Queen Elizabeth outdoor swimming pool is opening this summer, which Prince William and his by then-new bride have been formally invited to help celebrate, during their Canadian tour. I'm marginally involved in the pool opening ceremonies, so I'll let you know if the crowned kids will be coming to town.

The original pool was Edmonton's first, built in 1922 and originally called Riverside pool. It was renamed, not for Will's mother the present Queen but rather in honour of his grandmother, the Queen Mum, when she and King George VI visited the city in 1939. I was going to start rambling on about the Buick connection to their Canadian tour but then realized that it really should be a new thread.

As a teaser, here's a photo of the Queen, with Prime Minister MacKenzie King behind her. It was taken by my aunt during that first-ever Royal Visit.

post-59990-143138444726_thumb.jpg

Guest leroyschulz
Thanks for posting that Leroy because I of course forgot. With the possibility of William and Kate visiting Canada after their wedding, that could pose an opportunity for you.

If they come to Edmonton, I'll be on that. Thanks for the suggestion.

[L]

Guest leroyschulz
DEREK, now there's a brilliant opportunity for Leroy! The new Queen Elizabeth outdoor swimming pool is opening this summer, which Prince William and his by then-new bride have been formally invited to help celebrate, during their Canadian tour. I'm marginally involved in the pool opening ceremonies, so I'll let you know if the crowned kids will be coming to town.

Oh, fantastic! Please do let me know. mailREMOVEME@leroyschulz.com

As a teaser, here's a photo of the Queen, with Prime Minister MacKenzie King behind her. It was taken by my aunt during that first-ever Royal Visit.

Excellent! That's very cool.

By the way, I heard from Dan Wells today. One of his friends had two '72 Rivieras but sold them both. He'll let me know if he finds another one. I've asked him to call you.

[L]

Guest leroyschulz
...and by elsewhere, I think Leroy means anywhere. He's got his camera packed and he clearly loves to travel.

Well, within reason. :) I have a few Airmiles that I can dip into for this sort of thing. Ideally the car would be somewhere in Alberta, the closer to Edmonton the better.

[L]

• 1 month later...
Guest leroyschulz

Hey Rob,

What's the word on the royal visit? Are they coming to Edmonton? I just got back from a trip to the Middle East and am out of the loop on that.

But while I was gone, I managed very serendipitously to get the Chilean miners and Romeo Dallaire into the green car project. See Miguelito’s Little Green Car - The ongoing international adventures of Miguelito’s little green car..

Cheers.

[L]

Guest 75RivGS

Here 's a photo of another little green car (1;18 scale) on that 73 Riv from a few replies ago.

85522517.jpg

Photo was taken a couple of years ago before the repaint.

Guest leroyschulz
Here 's a photo of another little green car (1;18 scale) on that 73 Riv from a few replies ago.

85522517.jpg

Photo was taken a couple of years ago before the repaint.

Interesting! The little green car that I have could be on top like a set of Russian dolls. :-)

[L]

Guest leroyschulz
The full itinerary hasn't been released yet, but once it is, you can see it here.

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on that link.

[L]

• 3 months later...
Guest leroyschulz

Well, folks. With some strategizing, some work, and a whole lot of good luck I got the shot with Kate (although William said no).

See Miguelito’s Little Green Car - The ongoing international adventures of Miguelito’s little green car..

An article about my efforts will appear in tomorrow's Edmonton Journal. The online version of the article is at

The duchess and the little green car

Many thanks to both Thriller and Rob for the making the suggestion so many months ago!

[L]

Nice job...you sure have a strong tenacity for this.

I see that it was at Slave Lake, I was pleased they decided to make a visit there. Any comments to how the town looks today?

For those that don't know, Slave Lake suffered a wild fire back in mid May that burned down almost half of the entire town. Complete loss and devastation.

Anyways..."nice get" as they say, any irons in the fire for future hits?

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Glad to be of some small assistance Leroy. When I'd seen who the car had been seen with and that they were going to be in Alberta, it just seemed natural to me. I look forward to seeing the shot (may require better than airport WiFi...).

Guest Rob McDonald

LEROY, awesome work! Wow... the future queen of England! Miguelito is one lucky boy to have such a creative and tenacious uncle. By the way, I saw that green '72 Riviera on Whyte Avenue again last week. Next time, I'll run down the street if I have to, to get the two of you together for a photo.

Guest leroyschulz
Nice job...you sure have a strong tenacity for this.

I've got a nephew who keeps me motivated. :-)

I see that it was at Slave Lake, I was pleased they decided to make a visit there. Any comments to how the town looks today?

I spent about half an hour driving around. Most of the affected areas are cordoned off. Large signs on the fences warn that a town bylaw restricts access to construction and official personnel only. But what I saw was quite depressing and awe-inspiring at the same time. (I don't mean the latter in a positive way, but as a reminder of the awesome destructive power of nature.)

Anyways..."nice get" as they say, any irons in the fire for future hits?

Thank you! I am working on a few others, including Prime Minister Harper, Jian Gomeshi of CBC Radio fame, and Dwayne Johnson (The Rock).

Oh, and just this morning I posted my photo with Jerry Seinfeld -- who contacts put me in touch with on Saturday. See www.miguelitoslittlegreencar.com.

Cheers from Edmonton.

[L]

Guest leroyschulz
Glad to be of some small assistance Leroy. When I'd seen who the car had been seen with and that they were going to be in Alberta, it just seemed natural to me. I look forward to seeing the shot (may require better than airport WiFi...).

Thank you, Thriller! So far the project only has a shot of Winnipeg as seen through the window of an airplane during a layover. Whenever I visit your fine city, I'll have to get a shot of you in it.

[L]

Guest leroyschulz
LEROY, awesome work! Wow... the future queen of England! Miguelito is one lucky boy to have such a creative and tenacious uncle.

Thanks Rob!

By the way, I saw that green '72 Riviera on Whyte Avenue again last week. Next time, I'll run down the street if I have to, to get the two of you together for a photo.

If I ever see someone running down Whyte Avenue chasing a green Riviera, I'll know it's you! lol. That would be great if you could get that owner's contact information. I'll keep my eyes open for that car too, but I haven't seen it in a couple of years now.

So... it's the moment of truth. Are you up for a photo with the green car yourself??

[L]

Guest leroyschulz

By the way, I received a message (presumably because of the link here) from someone in Australia who has the real car.

I'll have to find a well-to-do sponsor to fly me to Australia for a photo with that real car. :-)

[L]

Guest Rob McDonald

LEROY, tell you what - I'm going to be in Iqaluit all next week. If you can nip up there and meet me at the Frobisher Inn, I'll sit still for the danged photo.

Guest leroyschulz
LEROY, tell you what - I'm going to be in Iqaluit all next week. If you can nip up there and meet me at the Frobisher Inn, I'll sit still for the danged photo.

hehe. Sure, sure. I'll fly up there when I can just stalk you in the town of Ed. :-)

Let me know when you're back and let's get you into the project. I ask participants to express their personality with the car. You have a week to think about it. Go!

[L]