Stutz Black Hawk Special Model

Guest cinqster

Guest cinqster

Hi folks,

I'm new here and am hoping to scratch-build a 1/8th model of the wonderful Stutz Black Hawk Special.

I'm am re-drawing the plans (including mechanical components) based on plans reproduced in 1978, the cross-section drawing by LaTourette and the few available engine photos.

My problem is, I have very little visual information for the Detroit gear three-speed gearbox and Stutz worm drive rear axle.

Does anyone have any photos/drawings/parts list for these components please?

Many thanks in advance and apologies to all that I've already PM'd on here with the same questions!

Johnny Sullivan

• 1 month later...
Guest cinqster

Well, I can safely say that the project has started!

SBHSroughed.jpg

Many thanks to everyone here that has helped me with SBHS information. The model has progressed since these picture was taken so hopefully will send an update soon.

If the pictured car is what you are modeling then the info on Detroit gearbox and worm drive rear end are useless to you.

This Land Speed Record Car was all Miller race car with no Stutz production car components. Stutz by name only.

See The Miller Dynasty by Mark Dees page 254-261

Guest cinqster

Hi Layden,

Thank you for the information, but I have been unable to purchase the M Dees book for sensible money! Could you expand it a little further please?

I have been lead to believe it was built with a three-speed Detriot box (custom built) and it certainly had a worm drive rear end - hence the extra underbelly fairing to allow space for the low torque tube. I've studied Miller racing gearbox's and there seemed to be many different models from that period, so I have no idea what may have been used. The steering was designed around two boxes and were not mounted to the gearbox, so this discounts around half of the designs.

Many thanks,

Johnny Sullivan

Guest 270offy

yes the "Lockhart" car had a Miller worm drive with torque tube and a 3 speed transmission.

The steering was by Ross a "duplex" 18.5 to 1

You need to review Dees book pages 254 to 261.