Fuel/Temp gauge

Barry Wolk

Guest De Soto Frank

Barry,

If this is a liquid / manometer-type gauge, they were made by King-Seeley, and used in Austin, Auburn, Ford, Lincoln, Pierce, and Reo (among others); according to my 1935-'43 MoToR's Manual, the last season for them was 1935-36. I believe their use goes back to the mid-1920's, and was probably more widespread.

As for finding a usable gauge mask from another application, others will have to answer that question...

As I understand it, the original gauge fluid was corrosive, so finding an undamaged gauge head might be challenging ?

But it appears you are dealing with the King-Seeley "Hydrostatic" gauge system.

The temperature side works. I'm going to put some gas in it tomorrow to see if that gauge works. If no one responds I'll attempt to make one out of brass and paint it as best I can. I'm trying hard not to restore the car, but this was just plain ugly.

Interestingly, the name you mentioned came up in my research. However, the service manual says the gauge set was made by the A.C. Spark Plug Company.

Guest De Soto Frank

Barry,

I don't know if AC made a similar gauge or not... I seem to recall something about Buick using hydrostatic gauges in the early Thirties, but do not know if this is accurate or who made them.

That said, the early Ford V-8 guys, Lincoln and Pierce folks have dealt with this system and it's issues, so hopefully one of them will speak-up...

Is the mask painted or is it vitreous enamel fired onto the steel ("porcelain" ) ?

Guest De Soto Frank
Could you explain what a sympathetic restoration is?

Well, last year, the term included taking the 1925 Hudson Super-Six "Okie truck" from the movie "The Grapes of Wrath" and "sympathetically restoring" it into a red racer, complete with an aeroplane -type tail...

But I digress...

Unfortunately, the gas gauge does not work. Fortunately, the car was supposed to get 30 mpg. :D

One friend has taken the metal, sand-blasted the rust away and is reinforcing it with fiberglass and filling the distressed metal. Another friend is photoshopping what remains and will create an image that can be printed onto bumper sticker vinyl to overlay the repaired backplate.

Thanks for the ideas!

Could you explain what a sympathetic restoration is?

My definition of the term is in restoring parts that have little or no value in remaining original, for the sake of being original. The heavy amount of rust on that piece was not there when original, so in my opinion, restoring that piece is not only acceptable, but makes it more desirable.

My suggestion is basically been presented. Using a computer graphics program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, recreate the black lettering and gauge's scale. Print on regular paper to get font, size and scale correct. There are two printing methods instead of the bumper sticker vinyl. The shade of the vinyl may not match to the paint. Print on clear Laser labels and cut to fit which will only print the black and not have the white mismatch. Another alternative is to use a color ink jet printer. There is a kit (spray) available that lets you make water soluable decals using printings from an ink jet printer. The clear label is probably the easiest.

Chris