Can someone decipher this?

Guest aclarke828

Guest aclarke828

I'm in the process of acquiring a 1942 Buick 4 door sedan. I have included a photo of the owner took for me. Could someone tell me more information. The car has a single Carburetor. I have yet to see the Buick in person. It appears to be in pretty good shape. I've been trying to see it for about a month, but the weather hasn't cooperated. The only thing I can see, is a missing piece of trim, on the driver's fender next to the headlight. Thanks for any information.

Alan Clarke

post-70766-143138417994_thumb.jpg

post-70766-143138417997_thumb.jpg

The Serial number of 14291656 falls in about the middle of the production run. The beginning number of "1" indicates the car was manufactured in Flint. The Model number was not filled in for some reason; however, it is a Model 41, as indicated by the Style Number of 4409, which translates: "1942 Special 4 door sedan, Model 41". I don't have my parts book here, so I can't tell you what the trim number "50 K" indicates, which is probably just the type of upholstery. I did not check the The body number "4570", but I suspect it is also in aout the middle of the run. The paint code "19" tells that the car was originally painted "Silver" on the upper body, and "French Grey" on the lower body, with wheels painted either "Lancaster Grey with White Striping", or "Dante Red with Silver striping". (If you want to view the original colors, go to autocolorlibrary.com) If you check the engine number, the correct engine would have a number starting with 44 or 45.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Alan:

The frame number you give of 1 4,291,615 (plant code of 1) is for a car assembled in Flint probably around the second week of October 1941. The probable range on the engine number (which may also be used as the VIN number on th title) will be 4483000 4 to 4520000 4.

Trim code 50 is for Tan and Grey Bedford Cord in the interior.

Regards, Dave Corbin