More 32 Packard Parts, More Mysteries

idrjoe_sandiego

The last set are mountings that go inside the radiator shell. One on each side about midway up the shell. They secure the end of the arms that hold the horns with three bolts from the outside. Also these arms are bolted to the headlight bar.

That little do hicky on the end is what is exposed when properly mounted. Just put mine back on last night.

Hey thanks Ken. I suppose the rubber is sandwiched in between two triangle shaped metal pieces, and then this three piece assembly is then sandwiched between the radiator core and radiator shell. Looks like I need some new rubber, too. Little by little, this project is beginning to take shape. Mostly I am going off of the pictures of other 1932 Packards on the web, and also what scant pictures that are available in the service letters, the parts book and a rather sketchy service book. Does anyone know if there are any better illustrated guides than those mentioned for the 1932 902 Std 8? What service manuals do you all recommend and who sells them?

The assembly order is the triangular bars that connect to the headlight bar, the trianglular rubber piece and then these inserts which go on the inside held in place by three bolts. Classic and Exotic have the SS mounting bolts. I believe I have some extras I bought from them that I would let go for less the 10.50 each that they want for them. Metro rubber has the rubber pieces.

I haven't found a decent service manual. The parts book is good. I actually have an extra copy I accidently bought that I would let go at a reasonable price. There is also a book of a collection of service letters that can be useful.

Also I have an extra set of the rubber gasket pieces that the clutch and brake pedal fit thru on the floor board. I bought two and I didn't realize they came a pair.

Thanks once again Ken. I already have the service letter book and the parts book. Surprised there are no decent service manuals, since there are so many service letters and TL's.

I'll check to see if I need the rubber you mentioned. As for the SS bolts, the C&E website lists three different size bolts and says three of each are needed. Clearly that is not correct as there are holes for only six bolts. What size(s) are correct and which ones do you have? And how much do you want for them? I need to see if I already have them or not. There are quite a few boxes yet to go thru, with most of the parts either painted or chromed.

Thanks for all your assistance. Joe

P.S. Any guesses what that other item in the first post is?? Maybe it's not even for the Packard. I just found it in a box with some of the unfinished parts.It looks a bit like the front piece from a manual transmission (where the throwout bearing would slide).

Edited by idrjoe_sandiego (see edit history)

I have 3 -3/4 3 7/8 and 2 1-1/8. Don't know why so many sizes. I think the shorts ones would do ok.

I believe that two bolts are needed for each arm to attached to the headlight bar. Those ou would most likely need the short ones as you have limited hole depth to work with.