Peerless 6-60 Sedan 1928

Guest P6-60

My family has had a 1928 Peerless 6-60 Sedan for over 40 years now. Most of that time it has been in our garage safe and sound. Since we haven't used it at all, we were thinking about selling it.

The car was bought in Finland in the late 20's and grandfather bought it in 1966 from the first owner. It has been driven for about 30 000 miles and it is in its original condition. Could say it's good as new. The car was repainted with cellulose enamel, the engine was dismantled, the cylinders were honed and new piston rings were installed in 1967-1968.

So the car is located in Finland. I've only managed to find a little information about the pricing of the vehicle so I figured this forum would be the right place to ask.

Here's a link with a picture of the car taken in 1976. I can post more pics of the car later if needed.

http://forums.aaca.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75115&stc=1&d=1294921925

post-72882-143138405181_thumb.jpg

Wow, thank you for sharing. I think I know someone in Europe that might be interested in purchasing it.

Also, we need the numbers off the car for the Peerless Registry. There should be a number on the firewall/inside of car and one on the engine.

Dear P6-60,

Thank you for writing us and being a part of the Peerless Forum, and the AACA Forums!! I believe that you, or someone in your family wrote to the AACA Forums years ago. Please see the thread titled "Peerlece" here on the Peerless Forum from about October 8th, 2008:

[Post #4]"I have a model 1928 here in Finland and it is 100% original. This is the only place where i have found even a name of my car, i like to know is there many left in USA."

This was originally written June 2nd, 2000. It is very nice to hear from you again after 11 years! Sorry the Peerless Forum wasn't here to answer your questions back in those days. If you go back and read this old message, you'll see that another writer from Finland talks about your car in a later message. There's also a post from me about a second Peerless in Finland -- a 1929 6-81.

The photo is great to see. It looks like the auto has a trunk rack and a fitted trunk, as well as landau bars behind the rear quarter windows. Do you know what body style it is? You may have the only '28 Peerless in this body style. I have never seen a photo of a 1928 Peerless with landau bars, though there were some on 1924 Mod. 66 Peerless Opera Broughams, 1925 Mod. 8-67 Town Broughams, and 1927 6-80 Hearses and Landaulets (first three non-functional, last one functional). Does the rear part of your car's roof fold down, or is it fixed?

Some other people have been asking about the prices they should charge if they sell their Peerless......or if they buy one, how much should they pay. Collector car prices go up and down a lot, and I don't think there is a book that says what your car is worth right now. From what I've heard, American antique cars sell for much more in Europe than in America. No matter what they sell for, Peerless cars are rare. It's not like Mustangs (millions built -- millions still around), Corvettes (over a million built -- hundreds of thousands still around), or Model Ts (millions built -- many thousands still around). I maintain a computer profile of all Peerless cars and trucks that may still exist, and it only lists 308. There are even more Duesenbergs around than Peerlesses.

I actually have a 1928 Peerless, believe it or not. A 1928 Model 6-80 Roadster Coupe. The cowl lights, roof visor, type of wheels, wheelbase, fenders and running-boards on your car look very similar to mine.

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

After looking at your car I found something else of interest. On the right side of the cowl - about 2 cm to the left of the cowl band and 4 cm above the splash apron - there is an oval emblem. It looks like an emblem from a coachbuilder, probably nickel-plated zinc. You may have a Pullman-bodied Peerless. If you do, it would say "Pullman Body Co Reg. U.S. Pat. Off " in very small letters.

Currently, there is only one known Pullman Peerless, which I would consider either a prototype or custom body.

I looked in my 15-year-old Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Vol. I and see that the only body styles listed for 6-60s in 1928 were Roadster, Phaeton, Coupe and Sedan. The open cars were $1,295 new and the closed styles were $1,345. There was also a 6-80 Close-Coupled Sport Sedan for $1,595 new, which may be a little more like your Peerless.

[NOTE: further reading tells me that your Peerless is a 1928 6-60 Brougham. These sold at the factory for #1,195.]  This book has rough estimates of car values {as I mentioned on the thread of tdommer's called "what is this car worth, any ideas"} and claims that '28 Peerless 6-60 Sedans were in the $2,300 to $16,000 range, depending on condition. I saw an ad for a Peerless in Altamonte Springs, Florida yesterday in which a 1929 8-81 was for sale for $34,000. Very nicely-restored Peerless and the same one appraised for over $60,000 in the "what is this car worth" thread.

I'm not sure if that year 2000 post#4 was someone of my family. I've heard that there could be 3 Peerless cars in Finland.

Just looked up the numbers

Model: 60

NO: B603284

All I found on the engine was the firing order and a series of numbers: 8 21 27

You are right jeff_a, there is an oval emblem on the right side of the car.

It doesn't say Pullman Body. Instead it's a "Raulang Body, the Baker Raul & CO Cleveland" emblem.

There were about 7,030 Six-60s made, and yours appears to have been built toward the end (your Peerless: B603 284.....last one: B603 991). I'm glad I wasn't imagining that your car has a body maker's emblem. I find it interesting that it was for Raulang instead of Pullman. Thank you for looking!

It's also kind of interesting that there may be three Peerlesses in Finland. I thought maybe the one mentioned in post No 4 was yours because brockway (from Finland) says it was restored in 1968, too. Whatever the case, as Bryan said, it's helpful to have any information we can gather about Peerless cars for the Club registry. The coachbuilder identity(1 of 43 that built bodies for Peerless), body serial number, model number, and picture are very helpful. Thank you!