Instument voltage regulator

rons49

I have a 6volt car. Can a constant voltage regulator from a 12 v car used for gauges operating on 5volts(temp&fuel) be used? That is, does the ignition voltage matter if the voltage line is less than the appliance ( regulator) is designed for? or a switch 12 to 5v would be OK if used with 6v? Would the net result still be 5v?

Guest Jim_Edwards

You weren't exactly clear on what you are hoping to achieve so I'll presume you are contemplating a 6V to 12V conversion. With that said, there is a heck of a lot more to take into consideration than just the dash instruments. Rather than try to cover all of those things which have been beaten to death so to speak for the last 55 years I suggest you read from the below link.

Converting From a 6 to 12 Volt Electrical System

Jim

I'm sorry ,Jim, if I wish to replace a defective constant voltage regulator on my 53 Hudson(6volt-pos ground) can I use one from a newer,lets say, a 1960 Ford, which is 12 volt-neg. My thought is, that is does not matter if the battery voltage is 12 or 6 volts as long as the reg ultimately drops the voltage to the necessary 5 volts( for gauge operation). Futhermore, a company in Kansas sells solid state instrument voltage regulators and they claim it will drop battery volts to the 5 volt needed, from either 12 or 6 volt cars. Any thoughts?

you can also make you own regulator for the guages, go to an electronics shop and get an LM7905 for + ground or a LM7805 for neg ground,, and you als need 2 .1mF capactors to mount at the regulator from the input to ground and another from the output to ground,, the electronics shop will have the pin out for the regulator and you can use the original screw to mount it to the back of the cluster,, the parts would be less than $5 and it solid state..

I have come to the belief that IVRs sold for 12 volt cars will work fine in a 6v car, but is there a problem with polarity? The 67-68 Ford IVR looks like a good fit, but how will a 12vneg IVR work with a 6vpos battery(IGN)? and, is there a problem with solid state vs mechanical IVRs with that combo? Albert, I read a thread from 2006 re, a guy with a 54 Packard. I have some good " build your own instructions" for a solid state but they are for specific cars with 12v neg.

The description from another reply about building your own regulator from Radio Shack parts is worth a try. You can mount this on a piece of perforated circuit board and arrange it for correct polarity. If the regulation is not critical, you can simply solder two 1 amp diodes in series and connect the positive 6 volts to the unbanded side of the first diode and the gauge to the banded side of the second diode. Each diode will drop the voltage by about .7 volts, so you will get a total drop of about 1.4 or 1.5 volts. Since most of the time with the engine running above idle you will actually have about 7 volts you will get about 5.5 volts at the gauge or instrument. This just might be good enough for your instrument.

Good luck.

Joe

Yea, it seems that the solid state idea bombs out when the main system is pos ground. Curious, though, if a mechanical IVR, made for 12 volt would handle a 6volt input and a 5volt output. ??? would the contacts be too starved for voltage to close and open consistantly.

Guest Silverghost

What about just using a big wire wound ceramic resistor to drop the voltage to the gauges in question only ?

Sometimes simple is better !

Possibly an ignition style ballast resistor as used to drop coil voltage ?

These gauges do not draw very much current ?

The resistor should not get very hot because of this very low current draw of the gauges.

I doubt that the resistor heat would be very much of an issue ?

What does everyone think about this simple idea ?

This would be similar to the heater fan motor system used for various blower fan speeds over many decades ?

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
What about just using a big wire wound ceramic resistor to drop the voltage to the gauges in question only ?

Possibly an ignition style ballast resistor as used to drop coil voltage ?

These gauges do not draw very much current ?

I doubt that the resistor heat would be very much of an issue ?

What does everyone think about this simple idea ?

This would be similar to the heater fan motor system used for various blower fan speeds over many decades ?

Simply won't work, not to mention would create a potential fire hazard. There is a reason why ignition ballast and heater fan speed regulating resistors are not under the dash and are under the hood, it's called fire!

The basic and operative words with "Constant voltage Regulator" are "constant voltage" and "regulator." Regulates the voltage going to the instruments so as to be constant so their respective coils are not over or under excited and incapable of providing a consistently accurate indication of fuel and/or output of a generator or alternator, which also reflects battery charging when required.

With due respect to the need for operative instruments, this is one of those situations where patience is required. Sooner or later a "Constant voltage regulator" appropriate for the vehicle will show up somewhere. May only require a bit of diligent searching. There is someone somewhere who has the part and it's only a matter of being patient and doing a batch of digging.

Not patient or unwilling to dig then this link will likely help.

http://www.kansasselectproducts.com/servlet/the-10/ivr-5v-instrument-voltage/Detail

The same product is also for sale on ebay by a number of vendors.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Thanks for all your input. Jim, that's what I thought about the resistor, but I am glad some one could explain it better than I could. I agree, RE. hoping an appropriate IVR shows up. Even the Hudson guys(HET) are silent on a modern match. Sounds like a potential market to me.

Guest Jim_Edwards
The shunt zener and resistor should suffice as long as the current draw from the instruments is small. Experimenting with nominal resistor values should lead to something suitable.

Joe

How many car enthusiasts here, including the person making the original post, do you think have the knowledge and easy access to the electronic components you keep mentioning to experiment with such a circuit?

Jim

Contacted Echlin ( division of Genuine Parts),and a few on line suppliers. I can not use a solid state with a positive ground, unless of course it is custom wired for that system. I need a original bi-metal regulator, that is not polarity sensitive. Input voltage is not important. 6volt will just react( open the points) a bit slower than 12v. Gauges react too slowly to notice movement. Any way that's what a few folks say.

hey! every one

nice posting.....i Hve been read all the comments.. I really got a good and value able information that will help me in different way...................thanks

Edited by Evaner (see edit history)