Testing antifreeze - refractometer?

scott12180

After changing the old antifeeze in my Packard to a new propylene glycol antifreeze, I realized that my old tester won't work. A propylene glycol tester is not easy to find, and the one I found is a very cheap thing that I don't trust.

Has anyone used a refractometer for measuring antifreeze?

If so, can you recommend a particular brand or supplier? Refractometers come in prices from $20 right up to $300. I know you usually get what you pay for but I'm not anxious to spend over $100 if a $40-$50 unit will do.

Looking for good quality instrument that will last. Not some crap made in China.

--Scott

I've had 2 Misco's, a Leica and now some $90.00 refractometer from who knows where. The genuine Misco's have a optional battery operated back light which is very nice. My Leica brake fluid testor died from fluid getting inside even though I always wiped it dry. I bumped/dropped the Misco and it got out of calibration after 4 years.

For less than a $100.00 you will probably have to get a Chinesey one. The good big brand ones are $145.00- $300.00 and more! Refractometers are the way to go as you can check battery electrolyte charge , and both types of ethylene and propylene antifreeze.