Radio Installation

Guest soldier

Guest soldier

I would like to install a small underdash radio in my 1931 series 50 Buick club coupe. I have an early transistor 6v/12v AM only model( I would rather find a AM/FM one without tape or CD feature). My initial problem ,however, is the antena which requires drilling a a hole, which I am reluctant to do. Does anyone know of an under car, inside, etc. availble antena that can be installed without drilling a body hole? Thanks, Soldier

Go to your nearest Hot Rod store. They have one that fits above the mirror, actually sticks to the windshield, and has a built in amplifier (don't have a clue how it works), but, you need to run 12 volts to it. Maybe 6 volts would work. I believe its made by AutoLoc. You should be able to find somewhere to hide it, but, not under metal. Paul

Soldier:

If you can find an existing hole or drill one in an inconspicuous place through the firewall, you can make an antenna to fit under the running board or under the chassis. Find some plastic or porcelain insulators and fasten one end under the running boards. Run solid 8 or 10 gauge wire to the other side of the insulators running back and forth a few times. Do not let this wire touch anything under the chassis. At the end of this wire connect the center wire of the antenna cable and ground the outside braid somewhere nearby. This will work on most strong stations nearby. Also, adjust the trimmer capacitor on the radio near the antenna input to maximize the volume on a weak station near 1200 on the AM dial.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

The MP3 player described below is the size of a pocket lighter. I bought a $15 amplifier from sears that provides stereo speakers and enough volume to hear OK in the car.... It all fits in the glove box and the amplifier runs on 6VDC. Originally I bought the MP3 player for my wife to use at the gym, but it works in the car too. It stores lots of tunes and has FM stereo radio too...

Specifications

The Sansa Clip 4GB MP3 Player is a compact MP3 player that boasts big sound and comes loaded with useful features, including a clip for wearing, FM radio, recorder and a large bright, four-line screen. The Sansa Clip's solid state flash memory allows for skip - free playback of music, making it a perfect music player for the gym-goer, runner, walker or traveler. Overall everything you need for a great digital music and audio book experience is found in the Sansa Clip.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)