heater/ac/speaker grills

Joseph44

Hi Everyone: A few wks ago I posted that I needed dash grills for a 1983 buick prk ave I rec. no responces the ones I have are are not broken up just that where the screw holes are they are broken is there anything I can use to fix them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated if I can not locate a pair of grills. Thanks and Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

The most probable thing would be Super Glue (usually "gel" as it dries a little slower, which can allow the items to be slightly repositioned before things set up), which is what I'd try first, being very careful to not have any "extra" in a visible place (i.e., top side).

The OTHER thing is that there is some plastics which GM used that Super Glue will not stick to, out of the tube. I understand that if you dust the parts first with baking soda, then it'll work, but I've not seen that happen . . . not to say that it might not, as those that told me were people I felt were credible.

The plastic probably cracked as it shrunk over the years. Plastic, like paint, has "oils" in it that will evaporate with time, although heat and UV rays seems to accelerate it, which causes a small amount of shrinkage and loss of pliability. Therefore, if shrinkage is the real cause of the break, then gluing them back together without leaving a gap between the two parts might not allow the bolt/screw holes to line up exactly, which could result in it breaking again in the future. In this orientation, it might be best to just drizzle a drop of normal Super Glue between the two parts of the broken piece while they are installed--just a drop and no more. This way, at least, the part will be "whole" again. If using gel, then using a thin knife to position the drop might be used.

IF you do get the two pieces glued solidly together (sans gap, as we'd normally do it), then be very careful when you reinstall the item and only snug it down--gently--as any higher level of torque might lead to new cracks. In some cases, what the hold-down screws screw into is a moveable metal clip, so you might be able to reposition it before putting the screw in it. As with building materials, the repaired grilles would need to be the same physical temperature as the instrument panel you'll be putting them back into . . . having them in the car for a day or so before, probably laying on the level floor, would allow for such common temperature stabilization.

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

Guest Dans 77 Limited

I had the same problem with my 93 Chevy truck. I used double sided tape on the edges where it couldnt be seen and just stuck the grilles back in place. That was several months ago and so far..... so good.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Thanks Larry for the offer but I'm a computer idiot I'm not set up to send pic's of what I need all I can tell you is the driver side looks like an L when you stand it up and the pass. side looks like a backward L. Sorry like I said thanks for the offer and have a great wk!!!