A/C compressor

ed burke

• 2 months later...
Guest rocket49

Ed, this compressor should work, it was on a working A/C unit when I removed it. I'll dig it out and make sure it's still movable and free,1 or 2 groove and get back to you. $100 if you can use it. 49rocket

Guest rsd9699

The 55 through 57 compressors all have a flange at the rear of the compressor. 58 though 61 do not have this flange. The flange will likely limit the interchange if nothing else because of looks.

There are a few a6 compressors that will interchange with the a5. Based on the one I have - these are the differences that I am personally aware of; the compressor color is grey, the front mounting bracket is round and the hole spacing is that of the a5, the rear of the compressor is specific to the the hose setup of the a5 and the mounting holes match the a5. In other words it is a drop in match to a5.

I pulled this compressor off a 60 olds in 1972 and they were far and few then. A few years ago on flea bay they had 5 new old stock of them appear that the fellow did not know what they fit. So they are still around.

If you are looking for a compressor to make your a/c work, then the standard a6 with additions mainly to the front bracket will work. I put one on my 56 olds and did it the hard way (but it was quick) and modified the original brackets to make it fit. By making an adapter bracket you can rotate the a6 into the correct alignment with the hose ports at the rear of the compressor - as I recall, the offset is about 30 degrees and this can kink the copper lines if you are not careful. The a6 is a slightly smaller displacement than the a5 but the smaller pulley will increase cooling at idle. I think the service updates in 1962 covers the retrofitting and I think olds offered some special clutch pulleys for coverage from 55 through 61.

Buicks of the same years used a smaller compressor pulley and Cadillac used both some larger and some smaller than the olds. Chevies used a single groove clutch pulley but the compressors are the same. The 60 Pontiac that I had used a 2 groove but I co not recall the size relationship to olds.

If your 58 has air ride the water pump pulley may need changing to increase engine fan cooling.

Ron

Hi All, Thanks for all the replys. rsd9699 has all the info on the a/c compressors. I should have

stated I wanted a 1958 thru 61 compressor. I have a perfectly good clutch for an a5 but the, compressor knocks real bad. I will purchase one from any 58 thru 61 gm car. I think caddy, buick and chevrolet have a smaller pulley than olds????? Why I don't know. Still any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks ED