Kwik Poly use on door repair

Guest jcweis1

Guest jcweis1

Can Kwik Poly be used effectively on the wood that is still installed in the door to give the strenght needed?

Has anyone ever tried this?

Walter is correct. Kwik Poly is absorbed into the wood and makes it strong again, it's thinner than the West System so is absorbed deeper into the wood. Set up time is a couple of minutes, so you have to be quick with Kwik Poly........I don't believe that the West System absorbs as deeply.....and believe it is more applicable to surface sealing (such as a wood bodied car, as first step preparation for paint).

I've used both so speak from experience. I had some rotten wood in the base of an early seat, you could pick it out with your finger. Put Kwik Poly on it, it absorbed into the rot, and made it hard as a rock, literally.

I've also seen small trim parts case with Kwik Poly.......

I think you might be able to get a reducer for West System stuff (I'll take a look). I know you can get different activators and thickening agents.

Yes, both will strengthen joints. Just make sure that you have it set-up in the shape you want when you apply it. If you have the door laying twisted on your work bench and then remount it to the car, you're going to find you now have a solid twisted door.

It's basically soaking into the soft places, filling the gaps, and then hardening in the voids.

I personally like Kwik Poly for its low viscosity and its ability to seep into joints. I wrote the attached article on KP which may help. While the article's problem and yours are differant, the principles are the same. Important to get the door's wood into the correct shape (profile). Once glued, its not likely to move.

http://www.metroccca.org/tech_articles/tech_07_winter.pdf

Chris

I was looking to see if there's a reducer for West System stuff and found this convenient .pdf from Jamestown Distributors:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/2010PDFS/epoxy.pdf

There are lots of other similar products. I only have experience with Kwik-Poly and West System. You might want to study here and see if there's something you think might better fit your needs.

Jamestown has lots of other handy stuff. I'm not a "make everything stainless" guy, but when you need something like a stainless carriage bolt, or some such, they're a good source.

Guest bofusmosby

Walter, I just checked the link you posted, and I am not familiar with most of these products. They may be good, but I noticed one thing. The price! The only thing I have used (to compare the price) was "Bondo". I buy it from the auto parts store by the gallon for $19. This place sells the same can for $52.73! Ouch!:eek:

Walter, I just checked the link you posted, and I am not familiar with most of these products. They may be good, but I noticed one thing. The price! The only thing I have used (to compare the price) was "Bondo". I buy it from the auto parts store by the gallon for $19. This place sells the same can for $52.73! Ouch!:eek:

I think you're comparing apples and oranges there. That's Bondo-Glass with fiberglass in it, not standard polyester body filler. I'm a piker when it comes to shopping and have found that Jamestown is pretty comparable on the same products being sold other places.

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Walter, you're correct. I was looking at the wrong can. They are still higher though. I found the can (and number) that I bought for $19, and they are selling the same thing for $30.57. They also are selling the "Bondo-Hair" for $52.07, but I can't find my can, so it could also be different then what I have.

BTW, I have never used this Bondo for auto body repairs. I am restoring an old house, and this stuff works great for repairing wood. Of course, there are limitations.:D

Guest bofusmosby

I agree Walter. Sometimes, the convienence is worth a bit more. You know, a 1 stop shop. Of course, an auto parts store probably buys Bondo by the pallet, but their epoxy they sell would be more expensive because they buy it in smaller quanities, thus not buying it in greater bulk.