Ford 292 engine, hot tanked, ready for rebuild

Here we have a 292 Ford that was an abandoned project. This complete engine was taken into the shop, disassembled, hot tanked, and visually inspected. Situation was something like the owner falling into hardship, giving up on his project, and deciding to turn the engine over to the shop to satisfy the bill, or some such.

This is a good buildable project, clean, and ready to go. The only thing is I couldn't put my hand on the other rocker shaft when I took the photo, but I'm certain it's here and will either find it or adjust accordingly when the deal is made.

There's a broken bolt here-and-there, but otherwise the cylinders mic about 3.757 at the top of the bores, which should be STD with wear; the crank is STD / STD rods and mains; valves have grind life left on them but would probably just be replaced, anyway, along with the springs and keepers in the plastic bag. Rods are a matched set from this engine.

Nice thing is it has, apparently, not been rebuilt before, so here you've got it clean, all laid out with no surprises, and ready for work. Lots of life left in this core.

Asking $300 for the whole package. I might be persuaded to separate the carb, otherwise I'd like the whole thing to stay together. Preference goes to those willing to make local pick-up from 19375, shipping may be an option. Email direct: machineman2960 {at} yahoo.com

Thanks!

PB180094-vi.jpg

PB180095-vi.jpg

PB180096-vi.jpg

PB180098-vi.jpg

• 2 months later...
I'm no authority on T-birds but I think that Holley 4-barrel carb was first used on 57 models which came with 312 engines. 55s and some 56s came with 292s but they used the so-called "teapot"4-barrels

I think you're right. That was a friends hunch, but somebody else has since come along and pointed out the manual choke means it most likely came from a truck.

I'm thinking that carb might not be right for the engine. Like I said, in 55 the 292 was the biggest engine in a Ford. If it had a 4-barrel it was the teapot type. They also had a 272. In 56 they brought out a 312 which went into most T-birds. In 57 they might have had this carb but it would be on the 312. In 58 they brought out a 332 and a 352. At some point they dropped the 272 and then the 312. They steadily increased the big block(FE) for performance but kept the 292 in the car till 62 and truck till 64. I don't think any of those later 292s would have used the 4barrel although its possible.

Thanks for the suggestion. Everything is listed .99 cent opening bid -- no reserve. As long as it has one bid, it goes. Perhaps I'll post a note over there so long as their selling rules allow such for a newcomer. Time for early spring cleaning! Actually, the engine is doing pretty well already, with watchers on all the other auctions.

I have a '29 closed cab pick-up I drove daily (no exceptions) for two years and put over 20,000 miles on and have worked on a ton of other Model A's. It's in hibernation at the moment. Someday I'll put it back into service. Cobbler's children never have shoes.