1953 buick, leaking coolant (dripping between block and starter)

Guest junkyardslug

Guest junkyardslug

Howdy everyone, It seems like I just got my '53 Roadmaster running good (including replacing the radiator, water pump, and every piece of hose in the cooling system), when I discovered a new leak

I ran it up on ramps, water is running down the block on the drivers side between the block and the starter (this is the V8 of course). I can't see where it is leaking from the top because the exhaust manifold is in the way. I am hoping there is a freeze plug behind the starter? If not any ideas? It's bad enough that the radiator boils over within about 5 mins!

Thanks Guys

George

Guest Jim_Edwards
Howdy everyone, It seems like I just got my '53 Roadmaster running good (including replacing the radiator, water pump, and every piece of hose in the cooling system), when I discovered a new leak

I ran it up on ramps, water is running down the block on the drivers side between the block and the starter (this is the V8 of course). I can't see where it is leaking from the top because the exhaust manifold is in the way. I am hoping there is a freeze plug behind the starter? If not any ideas? It's bad enough that the radiator boils over within about 5 mins!

Thanks Guys

George

George, I think you may have two separate things going on. I'm going to suggest the "new" water pump has issues. Is the thermostat, new or old? Unless the leak you describe is nearly like Niagra falls from the minute the engine is started it is not likely related to the radiator boiling out beyond cooling system pressure forcing the leak. Of course if the leak source is a failing freeze plug it still needs to be replaced (actually all at the same time in my opinion). I know you mentioned replacing all the hoses, but in some respects your description of what is happening also suggests the lower hose may be in some way restricted assuming no problems with the new water pump.

Jim

Guest junkyardslug

Thanks Jim

The water pump is a Howard Stewart rebuild, and yes, there is a new Thermostat in the motor. I got about 100 trouble free miles out of the car between the new water pump install and the leak/boiling over (which happened at the same time). I'll pull off the lower hose and make sure it's not gummed up. This car sat for 35 years being occaionally started, and when I replaced all the hoses I flushed the block to the best of my ability but I am sure there is still loads of gunk in the block, perhaps something got loose?

Are the freeze plugs accessible from under the car? It looks like I will have to unbolt the exhaust manifold. will I also have to unbolt the motor and jack it up?

Anyway, knock on wood, it's just a squirrel in my lower hose

George

Guest Jim_Edwards

George I would imagine that sitting for 35 years with only an occasional running all of the freeze plugs are pretty much garbage unless they happen to be brass. I should have asked right off the bat just how much coolant is being lost overnight from the drip. Any idea?

I can't answer your question regarding the difficulty in replacing the freeze plugs as I have personally never replaced them on a '50s Buick V8 engine. Many others, just not a '50s Buick. Generally they are always a major pain in the neck. Often easy to remove the old ones but literally heck getting sufficient clearances to drive the new ones into the block. I don't recall running into a V8 OHV engine that replacing the freeze plugs didn't entail raising the engine. Sorry about that!

Jim

Guest Silverghost

Your leak issue sounds like possibly a head gasket to me too.

If you do find you have a leaking freeze plug (actually a sand core plug) which is very common after all this time; and you cannot swing a hammer to install a new plug you might consider using the type of core plug that expands when a nut on it is tightened! These are a bit of a band-aid but they might just get you out of a tight space leaking core plug jam !

GOOD LUCK !

Guest junkyardslug

Well phooie LOL

I guess it wouldn't kill me to pull the engine and spend an afternoon replacing both head gaskets and all the core plugs. It'd also give me a chance to replace those front brake lines that you can't change cause the engine is in the way.

Thanks everyone

George

No, no, nothing so drastic just yet. Do not start removing heads...

There is a freez-plug right behind the starter. I would pull the starter - simple procedure, but heavy! - and see what the plug is like behind it. My bet is that it has started leaking, now that you have replaced so many things and the system is starting to see pressure again after so many years. Inspect all the plugs on both sides of the block while you are there and replace what looks iffy. While plugs are out, do what you can to remove sediment and rust in the water passages.

Get a propper-sized bushing driver to fit the plug, a long and heavy bar, and a big hammer. That will get you access to several of the plugs. Others may require an exhaust manifold to be removed.

Rus Martin at Centerville Auto Repair in California can get you brass plugs. You can find him on the web, or Bob's Automobilia.

I hope that helps,

Doug Cook