Is it safe?

Guest 97welter

Guest 97welter

Im trying to get my 26 Buick Standard 6 running. Can I use a 12V jumper pack to do this instead of a 6V car battery? It would be easier to charge....

You can IF you can isolate the starter from all other electrical. I am not familiar with your '26. We did exactly what you propose with our 1941 Packard during the 2009 Hemming's Challenge. Our Packard uses a Bendix starter drive. With the jumper pack turned off, we connected the positive cable to the engine block, and the negative directly to the starter terminal (that is the output terminal from the solenoid). We then turned the battery pack on, and the starter spun. We did have a 6 volt battery which was near dead, but could power the ignition system.

A 6 volt starter can easily handle 12 volts if used sparingly. Skinned Knuckles did a study which showed that no damage would result from 12 volts through a 6 volt starter. Just like any starter, however, you don't want to crank ad infinitum!

The most important point is that you can isolate the 6 volt ignition, generator, and guages from the starter. Actually, you can run 12 volts through the ignition for a short period. Most early 12 volt cars used 6 volt coils and a ballast resistor. The ballast resistor would allow 12 volts for a hotter spark for starting, then drop the voltage to 6 volts.

Don't do it if you cannot isolate your gauges, lights, and generator from the starter.

Pat

Im trying to get my 26 Buick Standard 6 running. Can I use a 12V jumper pack to do this instead of a 6V car battery? It would be easier to charge....

You can jump start your car without a problem as long as none of the 6 volt devices are hooked up, or at least the switches are turned off. I've jumped started my 6 volt positive grounded Ford trucks many times. You won't be able to maintain the car running for long once you have it started if you have the stock 6 volt ignition system wired up. You'll burning out the coil unless you use a voltage drop resister.

Interesting commement about damaging the coil and gauges. On a 1926 Buick, the only electric gauge is the ammeter.

I have jump started my 1928 Buick several times by putting one jumper on starter and the other on the spark plug cover wingnut. I make sure that I am the person touching the hot lead to he starter so I can remove it as soon as the engine fires. I do not clip it on the starter. I have not noticed any problems with the coil or ammeter.

So, can the coil be damaged with such a short burst of 12 volts?

The coil does have an external resistor. Is that what saved my coil?

The Ammeter doesn't care if it is 6 or 12 volts (but it's light bulb might..). It only measures amps. Our Packard has auxiliary gauges for competition to supplement the stock gauges. You have no problem putting 12 volts through a 6 volt coil for starting. It just gives a hotter spark. As I said, most 12 volt coils were actually 6 volt coils with a ballast resistor(internal or external)--12 volts to start, then 6 to run.

Fred, you are correct, just keep contact long enough to start the engine. The original question was about using a battery pack. With a battery pack you connect the cables, then turn the pack on.....crank....start.....turn the pack off. You do have to have some generator output (or a 6 volt battery) to keep the motor running. The cut-out relay will probably protect the generator because there is not sufficient revs to engage it.

Just as an aside, I had to buy a battery charger while on the road when the charging system went out a long way from home. Hated to do it (have 4 chargers and 3 trickle chargers at home, so I decided to go cheap at Harbor Freight. I LOVE THIS CHARGER!!!!!!!! Small, flexible, smart, 6 or 12 volts....and it figures it out on its own. Here is the link: 6/12 Volt Electronic Battery Charger and Maintainer With LCD Display