Glove Box Lock Install

Guest katsfan

Guest katsfan

Sometimes what should be a simple install ends up being difficult.

The glove box lock on my '55 Roadmaster broke so I bought a new lock. The old lock slid right out cause the latch had broken off. But trying to slide the new lock in the hole I can't push the spring loaded latch down far enough to slide through the hole.

What's the trick? Do you have to disassemble the lock? Surely I don't have to notch the glove box door/trim?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Guest katsfan

Yep, its unlocked. Works as it should, retracting in as the button is pushed. It just doesn't go in far enough to fit through the hole in the glove box door.

Hmm, I checked the parts book, and it lists just one lock assembly for 55, so that isn't the problem. Does everything else look the same? Where did you get the new lock? Sorry if I'm being redundant, but I don't remember it being difficult the few times I have done this.

Guest katsfan

Bought the lock from CARS and it's listed for the '55. Suppose it could be wrong as it makes no sense it wont simply slide in through the hole.....I can pretty easily slot the opening where it won't show and guess that's where I'm headed.

thanks for looking it up.....

Guest katsfan

Thanks for checking Bob. Interesting they sell a lock that can't be installed without modification. I'll try filing the tab down some and see it it will clear.

Thanks for checking Bob. Interesting they sell a lock that can't be installed without modification. I'll try filing the tab down some and see it it will clear.

Repro parts from most vendors are notorious for needing to be "massaged" before they fit or function. The Jersey Buick guys do seem to be a bit worse than others..............Bob