1926 Dodge choke mechanism

BYmechanic

Enclosed is a photo of my 1926 Dodge choke control mechanism. I must be missing something. The control rod fits into the housing and the end attaches to the control wire that goes to the choke lever, but what keeps it at a set position:confused: ie. half choke or full choke.

post-71241-143138339627_thumb.jpg

Remove the knob and cable from the housing. You will see a hole inside the housing which should contain a spring and a 1/4" ball bearing. The ball is held against the grooves in the knob by the spring, thus retaing the choke setting.

TonyAus, thank-you for your reply. My choke control is missing the spring and the ball bearing. Could you please give me the diamensions of the spring. I figured there had to be a spring involved, but that alone didn't work.Thanks! Marv.

From memory, the spring is 1/4" in diameter and about 1/2" long (a neat fit in the hole both ways) so it is compressed when the ball is fitted. It is heavier than a ballpoint pen spring - you might have to trawl through your junk box to find something useful.