Repair broken hood welds?

YellowLark

My 1983 Buick Riviera has several welds that have come loose where the hood's exterior panel attaches to its framing. These are mostly along the center spine of the hood frame. The welds look like piled-up strings and I need to figure out the best way to re-attach these points.

I have a MIG welder, but am afraid to burn through the hood. I also have some 3M body adhesive, like is used in assembling new cars. Would that withstand the slamming that a hood endures?

I'm probably not the first person to have this issue. How would you fix it?

I doubt that those are welds. The only welding between the hood skin and the frame would be spot welds at the edges, for exactly the warpage reasons you worry about. Usually the outer skin is held to the frame at the center with body adhesive.

Guest palosfv3

Can you post a picture of the damaged weld ? In the early 80's GM spot welded all their hoods around the perimeter flange. Joe is correct that the inner frame was bonded to the outer skin in the center areas. If this is what is loose just apply some sealer to the contact area and let dry.

Thanks, Joe,

You are correct. I just took a better look at both the convertible and the parts car, and those bonds are indeed adhesive.

Well, I have the right adhesive; now, I just need to figure out the best way to clamp the hood down against its frame while the adhesive sets.

Little by little, my "needs everything" project car is needing less.

Guest bofusmosby

Well, I have the right adhesive; now, I just need to figure out the best way to clamp the hood down against its frame while the adhesive sets.

I am wondering if you could put something big enough under the hood, so when the hood is pressed from the top, it would press the inner hood frame up against the underside of the hood strong enough for the adhesive to do its job. I would use some good padding on the outside of the hood, and then put something on it that has some weight to it. Make sure that where the metal is joined is clean and shiney.

Of course the best way would be to remove the hood and use some type of vise, but then you will have the trouble of removing it and putting it back on, as well as aligning it correctly.

Just an idea. Someone else will probably come up with a better idea.

I would use the hood adhesive to rebond the hood to the supports. If you do use the adhesive, be sure to get the adhesive that is made for hoods and not the generic body adhesive. The hood adhesive has some sort of characteristics that will not pull the outer panel to the support and show a wavy surface.