Steering wheel - Stutz?

alsancle

Here are some pictures of the wheel that came on my Stutz Special. The chassis is 1928 BB but I'm not sure about the wheel. Can anyone identify it? The base is aluminum with a steel reinforced rim which is screwed on. The rim was covered in a hard rubber. It is 17 3/4 inches in diameter. The reason I'm asking is the restoration estimate I just got from a reputable wheel restorer was enough to give me a heart attack. I was thinking around 1k but maybe a bit more because of the amount of work.

post-31305-143138331702_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143138331704_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143138331707_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143138331709_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143138331721_thumb.jpg

Guest Silverghost

Have you ever considered using JB Weld or PC-7 epoxy to try to repair this wheel yourself ?

It looks to me to be a fairly simple repair as not much of the grip itself is missing ?

After the epoxy just spray with black urethane paint !

$1000 + is quite a cash outlay !

I do not know if it properly belongs on your Stutz ?

Have you ever considered using JB Weld or PC-7 epoxy to try to repair this wheel yourself ?

It looks to me to be a fairly simple repair as not much of the grip itself is missing ?

After the epoxy just spray with black urethane paint !

$1000 + is quite a cash outlay !

I do not know if it properly belongs on your Stutz ?

The period shot is circa 1932/33 and the wheel is clearly visible so I would like to put this one back on the car. If it was only going to be 1k then I would do it. The estimate was 5 to 7k to recast a new rim with a new still inner band. The steel rim is in very bad shape and none of the rubber would be usable.

Ed, the wheel is an exact match to the later Stutz wheel George gave me but it shallower and is aluminum. Did Stutz use a standard hub pattern used by other manufacturers or farm or otherwise?

I'm not sure. They had a gemmer box to the end. Maybe Franklin or some other independant used the same thing. Maybe a six Blackhawk wheel? Stude? Makes me think it came from the same source as the cast grill shell. 7 K for the wheel is real steep.