30s Water Pump packing

Guest broker-bob

Guest broker-bob

I have a 31 plymouth,,,the water pump has the big brass nut that seals the shaft,,,this set up must have been used on other cars------what have you all been using for the packing material inside the nut ?????--- bobnroman@yahoo.com

post-63841-14313833056_thumb.jpg

There are vendors who sell split-ring graphited cord packing for most shaft and housing sizes, and you can also just buy spooled graphited cord packing at plumbing supply stores. I used the latter 40 years ago and haven't had to do it again. But if you use the cord, use something to pack it into the cavity first, and you may have to use the glad nut several times to make sure the cavity is firmly packed. Final adjustment of the packing gland nut should be such that an occasional drop of coolant passes the packing, this for purposes of lubricating the shaft.

Guest broker-bob

Thanks for response I have the spooled stuff that I think was for the old plumbing valves I guess that what your are talking about ?? I Guess, sinse I already put some it and it is still leaking a bit,,,, but doint know what was in there good to clean out the nut of all old stuff and put new packing and as you say make shure is packed it thanks BR

You don't have to take out the old stuff. Just tighten the nut every once in a while, like once a year. When it bottoms out and won't tighten any more put in more packing. The same stuff plumbers use on pumps and hot water valves. After that you may have to retighten a few times until it packs down. Don't jam it down too tight just snug.

Most of the plumber's packing is pretty skinny string type packing, and meant for faucet packing. McMaster Carr makes the braided graphite rope in several widths. Measure the gap between the shaft, and cavity. It's easy to figure by measuring the hole in the pack nut to the outside thread. Order the nearest size packing, grease the shaft and inner housing, and put as many turns of the rope around as you can get and still have a few threads to start the packing nut.

McMaster-Carr

Guest Silverghost

Marine supply stores sell this waxed shaft packing for boats in various widths,

Check West Marine Supply on the web. under shaft packing !

It is braided and square,

It is best to only use complete rings of packing around shafts to prevent leaks. Cut ends to a 45* angle and butt the ends,

Use 2-3 complete packing rings and stager the cut butted ends.

I use this on my cars and boats ...

It's made of Flax with bees wax or graphite.

This packing has been around for 200 years !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

Also thought I would mention that you can also buy braided Teflon packing.

I do not like Teflon pump & shaft packing because it causes friction and heats up pump shafts. It wears the pump shafts also !

Some old car suppliers sell Teflon packing rope & rings.

The old fashoned waxed or graphited Flax is still te best in my opinion !

Guest jimstulga

You may want to consider an alternate repair. I have a '30 Chrysler CJ six and got tired of the intermittent water pump dripping, so had it updated by having it machined with a sealed shaft. Howard Stewart at Race Pumps in High Point, NC did mine for $275. So far, so good since June '09. His number is 336-476-9720. Jim