Portable starter/charger

copperjohn

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a portable starter/charger for the 6volt system. I had an experience with a dead battery from forgetting my fog lights were on. I can only find 12volt units. Could a 12volt unit be used for a quick start without doing any damage. Thanks for any help.

I Bought one that has 6 and 12 volt starter and charger at Sams club a few years ago. It is the larger type on wheels I Beleive it was made be shumaker, Close to a hundred dollars.Bill WEB 38

certainly not the best... but if needed...12v can be used to quickly jump a 6v battery... watch the sparks when you make the last connection... away from the batteries... make sure of the polarity... and make darn sure the lights and radio and heater are OFF!!! disconect quickly after start. suggest that 12v car not be running to jump. (keeps the voltage lower...)

You do no say what year your Buick is, but I would think that jumping with 12 volts onto a Buick with the one unit starter/generator would be risky. These were used until the mid twenties and are impossible to get parts for and next to impossible to find someone to repair them. If you are concerned about having a way to jump your car you could by a gel cell 6 volt battery, NAPA sells them for $119 they are powerfull one starts my 331 cubic inch 1916 Buick and they wiegh very little and are about 1/2 the size of a regular battery. You could build a little box with a couple of 5 foot leads and keep it in your trunk. If you decide to try and jump with 12 volt please follow these simple rules the eyesite you save may be your own or a family member. Connect red cable to 12 volt battery positive post first then find where the 6 volt battery cable leads to and secure it on that stud it will be either a solenoid or a mechanical switch attached to the starter. next find a clean unpainted surface on both engines where you can attach black cable to ground. This takes care of creating a spark near a battery that may be gassing it also keeps your face away from that 6 volt battery when you try and pour 12 into it. Personally I would rather get a chain and pull start rather than this option, Michael