Brake Accumulator

Guest jmiller

Guest jmiller

I've seen threads here and info in the news letter that if you have the original accumulator you should change it out or risk all kinds of horrible things. My question is what are the horrible things. Seems like if it fails you just replace it. What am I missing?

Jeff

Guest BarelyFit

It does not fail suddenly. It is kinda like us, it deteriorates. The gas on the other side of the bladder actually leaks through. This causes the brake pump to work harder and more often.This shortens the life of the brake pump. If you do the math; accumulator $100+ OR $600+ for a rebuilt 'master'. It is very easy to change and the part is readily available. The "master/pump" assembly is a BIT more involved.

Guest My TC Toy

Barely fit is 100% correct. The other thing to be careful of is the replacement accumulator. Make sure that is NEW stock not new old stock. Some retailer are supplying new 20 year old units, you have to remember that a 20 year old unit is still 20 years old. Caution is the word for the day!

So where do you get NEW accumulators?

I'm thinking of replacing mine. The ABS light stays on even though the original fault (speed sensor) was fixed. The German Chrysler dealership where she has been staying while I was out of town cannot figure out the fault. Since the accumulator is original and they they claim to have checked pretty much everything else, I'm willing to give it a shot.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest garyraymond28

The power brakes go out and when I 'jiggle' relay they work for a few minutes, but then relay gets hot and once again......no brakes. I'm hearing words like hydroboost, accumulator and BIG Dollars bantered about. Just wondering how you made out or if anyone else has suggestions on how to deal with this problem.

thanks, GaryR

Guest My TC Toy

If you accumulator has gone bad, and if it is 20 years old that is a good chance, this would cause the relay to get hot because the pump is overworking to build up pressure. Replace the accumulator since yo have to do it anyway and then see what happens. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marvin jay wilson,jr.
I've seen threads here and info in the news letter that if you have the original accumulator you should change it out or risk all kinds of horrible things. My question is what are the horrible things. Seems like if it fails you just replace it. What am I missing?

Jeff

what is a brake accum.?

;)

Marvin I posted a pic some time ago. Try this:

http://forums.aaca.org/f144/swapped-accumulator-264621.html

The black orb just to the left of the strut tower on the driver side is the accumulator.

barefit thanks for the infor on brake accum. now I know what that black ball i s, and the guys at advace now know.;) thanks again marvin jay. ;)

Edited by marvin jay wilson,jr. (see edit history)

Guest BarelyFit

Yes it is under pressure. If you dont release the pressure it is dangerous to remove. The stock one requires a hex wrench or socket and wrench. There are tutorials here on the forum but in a nut shell.

Relieve the pressure in the brake system by depressing the brake pedal 15 to 20 times with the key off.

Put a wrench on the accumulator tower and the hex socket on the accumulator and remove.

Spin a new accumulator (consult these forums on finding one) and torque it down a bit. You should only have to compress the oring in the accumulator to get a seal.

It really is that simple it may take a bit of muscle or a helper on the end of the ratchet.

;) RECIVED THE INFOMATION ON BRAKE ACCUMU FROM BARELYFIT AND JDERDEN . THIS IS GOINGTO HELP .I AM FINDING MORE AN MORE EVER DAY AN THIS OLD T. C. BY MASER. I HAVE SHEARD THE INFOMATION WELL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT IN A COUPLE WEEKS. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP . MARV JAY:rolleyes:

I didn't read this particular removal how to but MAKE SURE you use a large VERY TIGHT Vise Grip style pliers on the small round nipple AFTER you insert the Allen Wrench. If the accumulator is really tight (they almost all are) without the vice grips provide support to the thin metal around the hex area, it will round out or even split the metal. Once that is stripped the job gets much harder. Good luck.

Alan

Guest My TC Toy

Alan is correct, I also secured a wrench on the hex shaft and supported it with a short piece of 2x3 wood to the shock tower so it would not snap off the shaft. These accumulators are normally VERY tight, after all most ahve been on for about 20 years. Just plan your strategy, support your wrenches properly and it will come off.

When in stalling the new one be certain that the small 'o' ring is in place.

Good luck.