A Small but Helpful Modification

chipcross

After researching the forum, I decided to try to increase engine performance by adding a new air intake system. I read that some had noticeable improvement in performance while others said it didn't make much difference. I went to a place near me in Huntington Beach (RPM - Racing Performance Motorsport) and the owner, C.J., fixed me up with an HKS filter and tubing. He removed the air filter box and cold air intake tubing (commenting on how narrow its diameter was - "Like breathing through a straw," he said). And, yes, I am keeping those parts for a time when my Reatta may be returned to "stock" by some future owner...

I must say, there IS a noticeable improvement in performance! Much more responsive; much faster acceleration. No, I'm not spinning my tires (haven't really been tempted to try), but it sounds and feels great! It feels like the difference between having an allergy attack and breathing normally.

For my money, I heartily recommend the change!

post-57448-143138317746_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the photo, it is nestled down where the old narrow intake was. Admittedly, it is not getting pure cold air from there because it can also breathe from the engine compartment. That is why I didn't say it was a cold air intake. But it still works great!

One of the issues with the "C" engine is the very flat torque curve so that there is no impression of accelleration. Still my stock 88 does 0-60 in about 8.6 seconds. What is your 90 recording ?

I suspect that the most effect would be for a 91 "L" which is capable of much better breathing but has the same air intake.

cant you just use the same stock tube and just put a cone filter on it and remove the air filter box? i was thinking about doing it but i dont know the size of the tube and im not quite sure its going to be effective. any experts please inlighten me.

Answers to questions, comments:

First, I really respect the wisdom of the senior members here. They really know their stuff and their answers in previous posts have been a great benefit to all! Thank you!

So, using the search function (not as functional as google search though :( ), I read that many had performance success with cone filters (i.e., K&N).

Viking is right that the placement of mine is not optimal - it does get engine compartment hot air. C.J. told me the same, and offered (for more money, of course!) to route the air from the outside. (see his work at R P M - R A C I N G - P E R F O R M A N C E - M O T O R S P O R T). I opted for this setup as many of those on the forum had done it before with adequate results. I am happy with mine.

Padgett, it has been raining here in Orange County, CA for the last few days, so I haven't had an opportunity to run a 0-60. And I can't compare it with "before" because I never did the test in the past. Maybe I was too embarrassed to do it, cuz by wife's Camry was quicker off the line!

However, I must give you, Padgett credit for why I went ahead and spent the money! In one of your posts in November, 2004 you wrote, "I suspect the biggest improvement would be opening up the very restrictive air filter and intake path." I think you were right!

I also read (but don't remember who posted it) of someone who decided to test various modifications to see which were most effective in 0-60 and quarter mile. Simple ones like, Delco Coil, 8 mm plug wires, K&N filter, and higher octane. His results were that the stock had the best times overall, but that was because with the coil and K&N additions he was spinning his tires for the first 10-15 feet! There is an example of statistics saying one thing, but experience showing another. Personally, I would love to know that I could spin the tires if I wanted too! LOL!

Finally, Tax Man, I don't know the answer to that. I recall some posts saying that they did it, though. Try searching on K&N, or better, cone.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Looks pretty cool...I'll give you that. :)

However, no issues with the smog nazis?

I guess it depends on where you go....

Some refs are more anal about mods such as this more than others.

Also, I know a few guys who have them on their Fiero's and

some have noticed (or complained) about the inherent air

intake "sucking" noise it makes. :(

Espcially when the engine is right behind your head. :)

Kit

I asked C.J. regarding the "smog nazis" and the new air intake system. His response:

Regarding smog. You might be able to get away with the intake. It will pass the sniffer with better results, because its pulling more air, and that will result in a better burn in the combustion chamber. The problem is the visual inspection. Because you have changed your air box to the intake it must have a CARB# to be a true street legal intake system. In all the years I've been doing this most smog guys don't care as long as the sensor is installed, which it is. I don't think your going to have problems. Besides its really easy to put the old intake back in place. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

C.J.

I must say that my Reatta has always passed smog with flying colors. One smog technician remarked that my car was tested cleaner than a hybrid! So, if I run into a hard nosed government stooge, I'll just put the old air box on for the test!

Simple to check the incoming air temperature in diagnostics to see how much different it is that the outside air temp. in the climate control. Don't forget to remove the original foam rubber inlet adapter in the radiator header. You can help lower the incoming air temp. by fabricating a baffle between the engine and the actual air filter. Even an imperfect one will help. Did that 15 years ago using the stock inlet hose and cone K&N. Nothing wrong with the stock inlet hose by the way. The flowbench shows zero loss when the MAF is flowed with or without the hose. It's far bigger than the actual flow path inside the MAF.