1973 Centurion 2 Door Coupe

Guest BJM

Original, needing restoration but runs and drives. Options (or standard accessories) include 40/60 split bench in cloth with power drivers seat, A/C ,rare window in-laid rear defrost with dash mounted switch, PS, PB, tilt wheel, road wheels and rare W code 455 engine and Stage 1 calibrated transmission. W code is the big valve motor but technically not a Stage 1.

Purchased from a huge Stage 1 GS collector out of Idaho. Car was well maintained throughout it's life. Has a bad engine knock now, but the motor, underhood and front suspension are clean. Came from Idaho.

This is an original paint, interior and motor car. Numbers matching, as they say. The story is simple. I really like the looks of the 73 Centurion the most of the 3 years. I previously owned (and regret selling) a 45,000 mile barn find 73 Centurion convertible.

Nonetheless I was having trouble locating an affordable nearby Centurion coupe. Someone created a post about a triple black 72 Centurion FC in Missouri and noted it's rare color combination. I jumped at it and it's in the garage. It's a mess, very rusty.

Then about a year later I spotted this car on V8Buick and it's thread had gone on for well over a year with no sale. So I offered the seller $2000 delivered.

The only car of 4-5 that I own that runs, it gets moved around from time to time but this is probably where it will be this winter.

I have 3 restorations in front of this car so unfortunately, it will have to wait.

Original interior including carpet, sill plates, upholstery door panels. Both of my Centurions have manual roll up windows which I don't personally mind.

My other cars are in the garage. 1988 T Type Lesabre, 1972 Centurion Coupe (triple black/still owned) and a 66 Skylark GS 2 door.

Hopefully, if I can get delivery - 1 or 2 63 Electra convertibles are coming. Finally, I purchased a 74 Datsun 260Z from Boone, Iowa. I always liked the Z cars in their original form back when I was growing up in the 70's. Not a Buick of course.

Enjoy these photos.

Please note: What is that device located under the horns? I have no idea. I do not have cruise control on this car. Is it an emission device, Max Trak, horn related?

post-43249-143138315786_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138315802_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138315816_thumb.jpg

post-43249-14313831583_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138315845_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138315859_thumb.jpg

post-43249-143138315873_thumb.jpg

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Jake, only the 1971 and 1972 Centurion 2-door hardtop models are referred to as "Formal Coupe". The 1973 model is simply a 2-door hardtop, sharing the same rear window treatment as the LeSabre series cars. (As you know, the '71/'72 utilized a different, smaller rear window and unique roof moldings.)

I always liked this 1973 Green Gold Metallic color, which looks great with the wide rocker molding option. Other cool options that I see on the car are the cornering lamps and the Vigilite lamp monitors.

Cars equipped with MaxTrac actually had a switch on the upper right side of the instrument panel, so it would be easy to determine if the car is so-equipped.

We'd like to collect the data on this car for the Centurion Registry. Drop me an e-mail at brianL@americanconstco.com , listing the VIN and Fisher Body plate information (esp. the body number), as well as any other noted options.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Still "yard" driveable as they say. Everything works well. Mike Sobotka, the previous owner, said the car came with a shoe box of receipts. I have asked for him to forward to me. I am hoping this means less suspension restoration. Brakes work well, all lights. I've never seen a Centurion with the 40/60 with power seat. The closest thing to a bucket seta set up.

I had a 71 Riviera with 40/60 and found it was just fine. Numbers coming...

Guest Thomas Lord

Glad to see this Centurian went to a good home.

Jake, is there a thread on this forum which discusses your T-type LeSabre?

There is a fellow near Pittsburgh that maintains a registry website for these cars. I can send you the link if you haven't already 'checked in'.

On an unrelated note: I passively collect Coca Cola bottles from the 50s-60s-70s. I have a 16oz Coke bottle with BOONE IA on the bottom. Circa 1980.

Glad to see this Centurian went to a good home.

Jake, is there a thread on this forum which discusses your T-type LeSabre?

There is a fellow near Pittsburgh that maintains a registry website for these cars. I can send you the link if you haven't already 'checked in'.

On an unrelated note: I passively collect Coca Cola bottles from the 50s-60s-70s. I have a 16oz Coke bottle with BOONE IA on the bottom. Circa 1980.

Wow, wonder why it would have Boone Iowa on it?

I have been involved in a couple of threads on T Types and know that Redwind89 knows his stuff. I start restoration on the T Type next week.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your 'new' car! It looks great! That was a very popular color combination, back in the day.

Redrob,

You have a nice one too. MUCH nicer then my 72 FC Centurion.

Thanks, Bryan. I'm really enjoying it. Or do you go by Jake? I think you may have talked to Steve-SBRMD about looking for cars in your area, he's my brother.

BTW, if you ever find out what that item below the horns is, please let me know!

Dave

BTW, if you ever find out what that item below the horns is, please let me know!

Dave

I am going to post it with better photos on the Buick General side when I get back from Hershey.

It's not on my 72 and I don't see any major emissions stuff on the 73. It's got vacuum lines to it but also some actuator looking stuff.

Guest 75RivGS
Mike Sobotka, the previous owner,

Eureka.... I knew I've seen the Centurion before, but couldn't trace it (now I know: v8buick board)

Yes I came upon it real late. It had been advertised for at least one year before. I really did not need to buy it, I had 3-4 lined up already and made Mike an offer $2000 delivered which I thought he might decline but he did not.

I like it a lot. I wish it did not have to wait for the others to be restored.