Olds Limited factory issue print.

Roger Barrett

Oldsmobile Limited factory print of "Setting The Pace" by W.H. Foster. Issued to Olds dealer Coverston's Fallon Garage in 1913. I have its history since that time. I purchased it from my employer, who received it from the Coverstons in the 1970's when buying the dealership from that family. It is identical to the one displayed by Bill Harrah with his Olds Limited. That one is still with the car in what remains of his collection in Reno. There are less of these remaining than Olds Limiteds. For sale at $4000. The ultimate accessory for the Limited owner or Olds history buff. Please email or call for more info. Erik Barrett 530 863 7579

There are a quite a few of copies of this painting floating around although less of the very early reproductions. I have owned one since 1972. There are several versions of this painting both with the Limited, Special, right hand drive, left hand drive and a variation in theme. As the years pass by several have been sold as originals, maybe innocently, as the reproduction process looks like the real thing.

Erik you may very well have one of the early reproductions. The size will be a big determination. Judy Badgely wrote a great history on these paintings which I need to convert from a PDF to JPG so I can post.

Good luck in the sale. I have the 72 issue, the Ken Eberts night scene and a stained glass artwork depicting the same scene. These are great cars and I have enjoyed my long life being involved with them! Came close to running a few people over though as in first gear it had a tendency to lurch.

Steve,

Thanks much for the info. I would really like to see Ms. Badgely's work on the subject and learn more. This one measures 22.5" X 33" to the inside of the frame. The print itself must be just a little larger, of course. The fence says "Oldsmobile Keep Ahead". The last "D" is invisible under the frame. "William Harnden Foster.10." appears on the lower left corner as well as "Copyright 1910. Olds MotorWorks."

I agree the process used is good because it looks for all the world like an original painting. I suppose anything other than the original would be classed a reproduction. By the way, what happened to Foster's original work? Anyway, I know this one dates to no later than 1913. I don't believe anyone but Olds would have been putting them out at that time. It was given to Mr. Coverston when he opened as an Olds dealer. He had a falling out with Olds around 1918 and started selling Chevrolets. He took the picture home and it remained with the Coverston family until the 1970's when my late employer bought the agency. This is fortunate because there was a fire at the dealership in 1923 and it would have been lost. You can still see charred timbers in the attic there.

Steve, thanks for your input.

Regards, Erik

Erik, email me at aaca1@aaca.org and i will send you Judy's story. Sounds like you have the provenance for one of the real "original reproductions". No one knows what really happened to THE original. I "saw" 38 years ago in Hershey but at the time had no idea if it was one of the early reproductions or not. It was being sold by a well know dealer. I have seen at least 10 of these offered as THE original and some people adamantly thought they did have the right one.