Cord 812-cooling

mercer09

Picking up the 812 in a couple of weeks and it has a bad head. (aluminum rotted from the inside out)

Did these cars run fairly cool or did they overheat often? The reason I ask, should I replace the bad head with a good one of vintage, or buy a pair from Empire, who sells brand new sets of heads for the 812 that have larger ports and are designed to run cooler.

Does anyone have experience on this and or the Empire heads?

Thanks!

ps we are talking 500. vs. roughly 2000.

Hi Mercer,

Congratulations on getting your Cord! You now have a delightful, but demanding, mistress!!

If you're not already a member of the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Club, I urge you to join. You can do so online at the website Home.

The ACD forum has many many many postings on 810-812 cooling issues and the aluminum heads. The search engine on the site will guide you to them.

Welcome to the ACD world!

--Tom

Thanks Tom. I am expecting to have the car home by the middle of Oct. Agreed, she is a mistress that I have wanted to get to know since I was 12! 38 years later and we've finally hooked up.

Will be joining ACD and did previously belong many years ago.

I learned today that the heads are to be torqued at 55IBS. Found it on the site.

Guest Silverghost

I would go with the new heads.

They cost much more but will perform and last much longer!

If you can find good old usuable heads they will work for you for a while longer but the corrosion problem will soon render these leaky. One corrosion starts it car really get very bad fast.

The old aluminum head's waterjackets will have gotten very thin by now !

You have to remember that they are very old now.

You could risk major engine damage with leaky aluminum heads.

Why take this risk on such a great Classic ?

It is possible to epoxy pressure seal both the old & new heads waterjackets to prevent future corrosion.

Be sure to use a high quality antifreeze designed for newer aluminum applications ; and don't forget to change it often!

Every Year if possible !

Very cheap insurance !

Coat new head gaskets with permatex copper coat on both sides before installing new or old heads!

This makes a better seal.

The new reproduction heads should have no overheating issues !

Best of Luck with your New Pet Project !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Thank you Brad. That was what I wanted to hear, an opinion and you make very good points and I am sold!

(bet you work for Empire!)

I am guessing you are suggesting using copper head gaskets as well?

Can you explain or direct me to further understanding the epoxy process on the waterjackets?

Thanks!