Lead packing in water pump?

John Gelfer

Just pulled the leaking water pump off my 1928 Gardner. I had tried to tighten the gland nut, but it didn't help. I dug out the old stuff, and found molten lead had been poured over the string packing forming two lead/string donuts around the shaft. The gland nut has 1/2" of thread, while the hole is 15/16" deep. That's a lot of space to fill. Should I just use a lot of the 1/4" compression packing to fill the hole?

Guest Silverghost

Flax waxed packing can be bought at most Industrial hardware supplies and marine sites such as West Marine and some plumbing supply stores.

It comes in sizes up to 3/4"

Use only complete rings cut on an angle.

You need at least two rings.

Use old fashoned tallow water pump grease to lube.

Measure the area around the shaft to inside of gland cavity to get the exact width you need.

Do not use the narrow stuff !

Hope this helps :

Let me know the size you need.

It comes braided & waxed in square cross-section.

Don't use the modern Teflon packing.

What you want is shat & valve stem packing.

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

John, I'm not familiar with your particular pump, but generally the best option is to use split ring graphited cord packing. Depending on the cavity shape and the form of the packing gland, using smaller diameter graphited cord packing and carefully tamping it to form inside the cavity will work well. I did my 34 Packard pump with the cord material 40+ thousand miles ago and it hasn't required any attention since. I've had less luck with the cord on a 31 Pierce-Arrow and think the split-ring material would have worked out better. In any event, it's a pretty simple matter. Never heard of pouring lead in there and can't understand how it would function successfully. Sounds like a Goldberg job.

Guest Silverghost

Teflon is very hard on shafts and it generates heat.

The faster the shaft rotates the more heat.

Old fashoned Flax packing absorbs water and this lubes the shaft and cools it very well,

I tried teflon packing and soon went back to the old standby.

Waxed Flax packing.

Guest trainguy

It has been my experiance that the grafite,wax,flax packing works the best.But remember if the shaft bushings are worn,you will be unable to keep the pump from leaking,the play in the brgs will wallow out the packing in a short time.The packing will not work as a bearing.