Restoring 56 Spinner Hub Caps

BuickCrazy

I am restoring a set of 56 spinner hub caps and have a question about the square decorative trim that goes all the way around the outside of the cap in line with the valve stem hole. These indentations appear to be coated with something that has a rough, silver finish, almost like relective silverpaint, although I am pretty sure it is not reflective. What can be used to refinish these areas of the cap or is it better to remove the finish that is there leaving a bright SS finish?

I have had a look at this on my car and am guessing that it is actually sand blasting to obtain that finish. It would be a lot of work to mask up prior to blasting but that is what i think it is.

Koala

Besides the square issue, be aware that the caps are chrome plated over stainless. If you do any filing or sanding of the shiny parts you will remove the chrome plate and you can polish till you're blue in the face but it will never look right since the SS has a slight yellowish cast vs the blueish chrome plate. They will need to be replated to be perfect.......Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)