1934/35 Pontiac gearbox part

Guest DGriff

Guest DGriff

hi Guys,

putting together a Pontiac gearbox - marked as GM and its a three speed floor shift. There is a retaining collar made of zinc alloy that controls movement, locates and retains the gear lever. Our one is damaged and someone has tried to weld repair - no good. Does anyone know where to get another, new or used? See attached files. Thanks.

post-45289-143138287896_thumb.jpg

post-45289-143138287913_thumb.jpg

post-45289-143138287928_thumb.jpg

post-45289-143138287943_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

Can you post a picture of the trans top with shifter? I have a GM trans that I have been told is Olds and been told is Buick. However, gears from a late 40's Pontiac appear to be the same. Anyway, I have an extra top with shifter that may be what you need.

Message me

Guest Bob Call

David

Thanks for the photos. My trans is not the same. It's top cover is flat and the case does not extend as high above the mounting ears. Also, the mainshaft front bearing retainer/throwout bearing seat is stamped steel like later model Olds and Cad. However the tailshaft housing appears the same. Sorry I couldn't help you.

Hi,

I have a salvage yard nearbuy that has a '35 Pontiac ( pretty well rusted away but I know that the engine is still in it), but they're only open on Saturdays, so , unless you find one in the meantime, so I'll check this Sat., and post if I find what you need.

:) kaycee

Hi Kaycee,

that would be great. I dont fancy my luck in finding one although there is a bit of traffic happening with this post now. If your feeling energetic and able to by all means I would appreciate it. No rush on it either. I'm a little surprised that other people have not had the same problem. I would've thought there would be quite a few of these gearboxes around being used. Maybe not?

Cheers

David

Hi David,

No problem other than finding the guy there (He should be, but? This yard they keep for mid 60's back cars, and this is the oldest I've found, It's probably a '35 not'34, and I know it's not a '36 ). I'll take a drawing of what you need with me 'cause I'll have to pull the whole top shifter assy and see how much he wants , unless he needs to sell the whole transmission, and get back to you Saturday evening.

Thanks Kaycee,

If you can access the top of the box then all you'll need to do is undo the threaded cap that holds the gearstick and associated parts against a spring. The whole lot should lift out. I will leave it up to you as to how far you want to go with this. If he will sell the gear stick and/or parts thereof - great, but if he needs to sell the whole box then Im in your hands a bit. Full disclosure on this - I'm in Australia so transporting a gearbox would be straining our new friendship I'm sure. Not so much the cost , but the logistics for you!

Cheers

David

Hi David,

I checked the'35 Pontiac in the salvage yard today (the transmission has a flat top with 3 mounting holes at the rear and 2 at the bellhousing end and is in a '35 six cyl. 4 dr. slant back trunk touring sedan)., and the transmission is still in it. He'll be back there next Saturday ( between 11&4 pm,) so I'll pull the top cover off and check it . He wants $25.00 US for the whole shift ass'y, but If I pull it and find your part ,I may be able to get the part cheap and ship it reasonably. Please e-mail or PM me with pictures of exactly where the part is located on the shifter ass'y once I remove it. This car is rusted with doors off to the side and no floorboard left, but has a lot of savageable parts left on it except for trim, so if you need anything else let me know.

By the way, is your car a 6 or 8 cyl. and was it exported from the US or built in your country?

My parts manual only goes to'34,so I'm assumming a '35 part will work.'Hope I can help you out, and don't worry about an old guy taking time to give a hand to another guy that's into old cars as long as I can (barely) still turn wrenches!

Kaycee,

doesn't sound promising. Check the images earlier in the post/thread. Gearbox top has four mounting bolts and a raised centre into which the gearlever is held.

The part in question (also pictured in thread) is actually out of the shifter housing in those photos. It would normally slide down the lever and sit on top of the lever ball and then a threaded cap nut is also slid down the lever and screwed up to hold everything in.

Its a six cylinder "Master Six". Apparently imported from US as a chassis etc and then an Australian Holden Body manufactured for it. Apparently it is the prototype manufactured for that up and coming model year.

R.

D.

Hi David,

Sorry it wo'nt work. I checked a older Chiltons flat rate manual with part numbers, and '33 and '34 should be the same, so mayby you're not looking for a'35, but probably a '33 or '34. I'll check further and see if other GM models are the same. What year and model car (6 cyl or 8 cyl) are you working on?

Thanks Kaycee,

I cant give you anymore info other than what I have already - previous pictures and posts. About a 1935 Pontiac sedan with Australian Body. The only thing that comes to mind might be the fact that while it may be classed as a 1935 here in Oz it may very well be an earlier model?

Cheers

D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest 51c8Joe

There are two for sale on E-bay now. Got two more days to bid. Can't figure out item number, but it is listed as "1932 33 34 35 36 Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac NOS shift". Wants $12.99 plus shipping.

Joe