1913 Buick pin

Guest ruccello

Guest ruccello

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and I have a question about this pin I found. I am an antique collector, bottle digger etc, so I come across a lot of unusual memorabilia, car parts, and other cool stuff. I dug this pin out of a dump that dates from the 1890's to the 1920's. It's a very small dump on the side of a steep hill, and not too deep. I've dug old metal and iron toys from this dump, and some great bottles in the past. There's no new trash in this dump, not even on the surface, and if you don't look carefully, you wouldn't even see it - it's in the middle of nowhere in a very rural area. I'm telling you this because I know someone will say it was probably dropped there at a later date. It's different than most of the repros out there (although I've seen one that looks just like it online). This pin is very heavy, enamel, and still has the old pinback attached - although pretty rusty. Has anyone ever seen an original pin, and does anyone know if there's a way to distinguish the original from the new repro? Image attached.

Thanks,

Richard

post-69670-143138284841_thumb.jpg

post-69670-143138284843_thumb.jpg

Guest ruccello

Larry and Bill, thanks for the info. I've seen the repro's on ebay for $10.00, but not an original. I saw an original on emblemagic.com for $275.00. I have no idea how to tell an original from a repro (one difference I saw was the repro's have a screw & nut attachment on the back). All I can tell you is this was dug from an early dump site which dates it accurately as an original, and the back attachment is not a screw & nut. I'm waiting to hear back from emblemagic about this particular emblem, do you guys no if there is a distinct difference between a repro and an original, and if so, what it is? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Richard

There are two Different sizes. One is less than 2 inches, more common, the other is slightly larger than 2 inches, not as common. I would say $275. is awful high. Some are dreamers on ebay. If the front is perfect, no chips or scratches, and it is the larger of the two, I may be interested in it for my 1915 Buick as mine has several chips. PM me if it is for sale. Dandy Dave!

Guest ruccello

Hey Dave, thanks for the info. It's smaller than 2". I haven't sold anything I dug yet, It's difficult for me to part with the stuff I pull out of the ground - and I'm a big fan of antique cars and memorabilia. It will just go in my collection, thanks for the interest though.

Richard