1927 Buick Model 28 Opera cpe?

Guest Bobmn

Guest Bobmn

Hello to all; Well, we just got this car. Well, we are in Mn. and the car is in Ca. My BIL pick it up on Sunday. The paper work says 1927 Buick Mod.28 Opera cpe, Blue with black fenders. Been in a garage the last 20 odd yrs. Older resto. There is NO right side seat! The lady said it never had one!? Also can anyone tell us what the lever on the steering wheel is for? BIL says he used a one gallon gas can to see if it would run, and fires.....I'll see if I can post a pic. Thanks for any help. Now all we have to do is get it back to Mn! Bob

post-69022-143138259302_thumb.jpg

post-69022-143138259553_thumb.jpg

Welcome, and the timing for you is a bit odd. You may not know, being your first post, is that this week the Buick Club National Meet close by you in Ames, Iowa. It sure would have been neat if you had the car a bit earlier, as you could sure get a lot of advise.

You will find that many members of the BCA will be at that meet and responses to you post will be slow.

More then likely, there must be some history as to why the never installed a front passenger seat, and this will be something to be explored if anyone can find the history of the particular car.

If you are not far from Ames, you might want to take a ride down. The judged show is Friday.

John

I almost forgot. Levers are usually spark and choke that year but I am not sure. If there is a lower one, that may be lights.

I have a '32, and it has the choke and spark on the dash and lights lower, upper lever is hand throttle. Maove them carefully as they are pot metal and easily brake if stuck.

John

Guest Bobmn

jscheid: Thank you for the information and the welcome. Thanks for telling us about the show. Well, we are in northern Mn. on a farm and it's haying time. We also have a 35 PJ 4 dr sedan, we hauled home from Ca., along with a 53 #40 JD 2 yrs ago. PJ was a older res. and is almost ready to drive. We also collect old tractors, have about 60.....so far! Iv'e done bodywork my whole life (70 this Nov.) so working on these Ca cars is fun!? Well as Mn. uses more salt than most! Thanks again Bobmn

Guest Bobmn

Mark; thank you for the lever update. I will call my BIL in Ca. and let him know. Also, in looking at other cars, the car we have doesn't have the "opera" rear windows. Could you have a opera cpe, without the oval windows? I'll have my BIL get all the info of the car. Thanks again. Bob

Bob,

Have the owner check the numbers on the firewall nameplate for the model number. The opera coupes usually had one window behind each door that had rounded rear corners, not necessarily oval windows. It seems they also came with landau bars in 1928 according to the photo on page 166 of my Standard Catalog of American Cars....

Guest kaycee

Hi Bob,

My Seventy Years of Buick book shows a picture of the '27 model 28, and lists it as a Standard Six 4 passenger coupe (also referred to as an opera coupe). The rear windows are almost square and look just slightly shorter front to rear than the door windows. The book lists the car as weighing 3,190 pounds, costing $1,275,with domestic production of 7,178 and 94 for export. The Standard 2 passenger coupe had oval rear windows and 'dummy' landau bars and was model 26.

Your pictures are definately of a model 28, and it looks like a beautiful car! If you can find a Seventy Years of Buick book, you'll find it to be an excellent book and fully pictured ( hardbound and 352 pages covering from 1903 through 1973). I owned a '24 Master six opera coupe and it had a small foldup passenger side front seat for access to the rear seat, and looked a lot like your car but with dual rear spare tires and being a Master, was larger of course.

Do'nt work too hard on the farm, or after harvest, play with your old cars and tractors during those ? warm Minnesota winters! Ir's not much better here in Illinois.

:) kaycee

Guest Bobmn

Kaycee; Hello. First, thank you for all the information! I am impressed with the people on this web site! As far as the frt seat goes it must be missing. The lady that had the car has some other things she is looking for. She also is writing the story of the car, and she might have pics to share. They are redoing their house,so it will be a while. I sure want to find out where the right frt seat is. Doing this over the phone is a pain. We are thinking how to get the car home to Mn. Two yrs ago we found a 1935 PJ 4dr sedan and a 53 Model 40 JD with a one way plow and disk. We knew about the car before we left, so we took our diesel one ton, and we were going to rent a trailer, one way. Well, the fellow asked if we liked old tractors...... that he had his Dad's tractor in the shed, and would give us a deal if we took both......:) So we could not rent a 2 place trailer, so we had a 2 place Ca. trailer built. (open middle,tri axle, 10,000#'s. We looked like Ma and Pa Kettle going home! We had a grt time. I've done bodywork all my life, and some farming. These western cars and tractors are unreal sheet metal wise. Before mig welders, I have repaired a LOT of rust , and have used up to 300 FEET of gas welding rod for rust repair on one c60 Chev dump truck. Maybe I can find a pic of coming home. Sorry for the long post. Bobmn

post-69022-143138266302_thumb.jpg

post-69022-143138266349_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great looking car Bob. How northern in MN? I'm in Winnipeg. I try to get down to the Twin Cities around once a year to attend a show and spend some time with Buick friends. The Gopher State Chapter of the Buick Club of America is planning a tour in the Duluth area (the dates escape me right now). I'm going to try to put together a tour in my part of the world for Labour Day weekend 2011 (did a small one in 2009).

Welcome to the world of Buick.

Thriller; Thank you. We have a farm 20m south of Hibbing Mn. We really collect old iron, as we have around 65 tractors. We go to the tractor shows around the 5 state area. I did bodywork for the City of Mpls. and farmed for yrs. My wife was a cook in the public schools. We have been retired for 15yrs. We will have to ck on the Buick run to Duluth, as we are only 50m. from there. We are looking at ways to get the coupe home. We had a simi load of tractors hauled from Ca. to our place last fall. So, I still have that way to go. That was open trailer....maybe thinking closed trailer for this car! Thanks again BobMn

Guest kaycee

Hi again Bob Mn,

'Hope you get this nice car home ok. Please post more pictures of it when you do, and do'nt leave the farm work go, but spend some time on your beauty!

:) kaycee

Guest jules greenway

Bob-that's a great looking car and tractor! I just love the idea of having a trailer specially made to take them home!

good luck

Jules