30U grinds when shifting

Guest fordv840

Guest fordv840

Hi all,

Finally been able to tool around a little bit, found that when I shift the gears I get a bit of a grind going from first to second as well as second to third. I know this is not a syncro transmission. I have had quite a few non syncro cars that did not grind like this. So far I have adjusted the clutch per the factory owners manual and changed the fluid. The clutch was pretty close and didn't need much adjustment. The fluid change helped but not much. Is there anything else that can be adjusted or possible replaced? Also I noticed it has been asked how fast you can go in one of these cars. I was able to get mine up to 60mph via GPS and I would guess it would go faster but I didn't have the balls to do it.

Thanks,

Can I assume you are properly double clutching?

I find on my 1933 that having a heavier gear lubricant assists in getting a quiet shift. It also helps to up shift at speeds quite a bit slower than you would in a vehicle with synchronizers. However mention that you have experience in other cars that did not have synchronizers so I expect you know about all that.

Guest fordv840
Can I assume you are properly double clutching?

I find on my 1933 that having a heavier gear lubricant assists in getting a quiet shift. It also helps to up shift at speeds quite a bit slower than you would in a vehicle with synchronizers. However mention that you have experience in other cars that did not have synchronizers so I expect you know about all that.

I did double clutch but it did not seem to make a difference? Also I have tried to shift with very little load, and also take some time inbetween and kind of just gently bump it in but that didn't help much either. It certainly is better with no load, but not completely gone.

Guest fordv840
You can go 60, but not for long. A comfortable cruising speed is 50 mph.

LOL No kidding, I was on a nice open stretch of road so I figured I would see what she could do! :) (This is after making sure the brakes were up to snuff!) I agree that 50 is the happy place for this car. Now I just need to find a back route to all the car shows I want to go to!

• 1 month later...
Guest broker-bob

I also have a PA had a problem with shifting I have found that a short pause between gears will help it shift with out grinding or clashing

I also have a PA had a problem with shifting I have found that a short pause between gears will help it shift with out grinding or clashing

I have to hesitate with my '31 Dodge while shifting, too.