'64 convertible

Guest 75RivGS

Guest jonly

says that they aren't completed with the project yet, I'd be a little frightened about whatever it is that they ran into that put the brakes on completion. my .02.

Guest Kingoftheroad

While I don't condone cutting up a classic car, I think Buick should have included a convertible in the '63 - '65 Riv line up. The first generation Riv looks good as a convertible.

Guest Gee_Rydes

First Gen Rivs had such a great roofline, it is a shame to lose it. It is one of the most recognizable/distinctive rooflines out there.

Now if you could only have a folding hardtop convertible like new cars...that would be pretty cool too.

I agree with Gee. Taking the roof off really changes things...not in a good way in my opinion. I'll ignore the roll bar made from cast off swing set iron. Yikes. This car suffers from what all chop job convertibles share...the windshield header looks cheap and unfinished. My prediction: In two years the doors will start to sag and the driveshaft will start rubbing on the x frame. PRL

Very scary - he shows the top frame halfway up but no way will it clear that neato roll bar. This is the third one of these chop jobs I've seen on ebay and all three were stalled at about the same point - what does that tell you? A waste of a decent '64.

Guest Kingoftheroad

Regardless, chop top or not, that white bar needs to go !!

I agree, the roofline on the first generation Riv is SWEET !!!, I'd be disappointed with anything less. Anything less then an awesome roofline would have ruined what is a very beautiful body design. I've wanted a '63 - '65 Riv since the first time I saw one as a kid, so when I saw one for sale, I jumped on it !!

Guys,

I have some mixed emotions on this one! I have seen conversions done right and others that make the car unsafe to operate! A friend of mine converted(pun intended!) a 1970 Monte Carlo to a convertible using a Malibu top and windshield frame and it looks right, drives and operates like a factory ragtop. I have also seen early 80's Eldo's converted to drop tops (before GM did!) that have doors that won't open and show stress cracks in the rockers. Want to go for a ride? Ahh, no, that's OK!

If a tree fell on the roof of a 1st generation Riviera, it may make the conversion an option to save the car. There are some real sheet metal artists out there, but unfortunately for each good guy there are a number of hacks as well. I have a roof for a 63 if anyone wants to put the top back on!

Tim

• 9 months later...