1917 Brake Chatter

autoluke

When braking hard , my 1917 Oldsmobile transmits a loud chatter throughout the brake system.. Everything is OK during medium braking effort, but heavy pedal application creates the problem. Visually all seems to be in order, with all parts secure.

Any thoughts ?

Phil

YOUR SUGGESTION MAKES A LOT OF SENSE CONSIDERING THAT THE DESIGN IS AN OPEN TUBE , WITH THE OPERATING SHAFTS FORWARD OF THE DRUM. I HAVE CAREFULLY CHECKED ALL FITTINGS AND COUPLINGS SO THAT I AM ASSURED THAT THE BRAKE SYSTEM IS TIGHT AND SECURE. ALTHOUGH I NEED TO GENTLY APPLY THE BRAKES DURING A NORMAL STOP TO AVOID THE CHATTER, I HAVE LEARNED TO SUPPLEMENT THE PEDAL EFFORT WITH A SLIGHT APPLICATION OF THE HAND BRAKE. KEEPS MY ATTENTION SPAN IN TOP FORM, BUT THIS MIGHT BE THE BEST OFFERING AVAILABLE IN 1917,

Thanks, Phil

• 1 month later...

If everything is tight, it could be your adjustment. There is an adjustment for the alignment of the actuating pins and linkage that has to be done before you adjust the brakes. If this is not set right it will cause the brakes to grab which could be your chatter. It is hard to explain but it shows this in early car manuals, Dykes is what I use.

RHL

Thanks to all for your collective input...I have downloaded Dykes and am following the stated adjustment procedures.

One item that Dykes does not address is the two small bolts which straddle the tops of each brake shoe, and appear to conrol the radius of the shoe. Any input as to the adjustment parameters for these parts ?

Also, Dykes recommends adding a few drops of light oil to the lining...seems that this suggestion could cause a real problem...thoughts ?

Phil

Hi,,,NO oil,,,,the brake shoes have a leading edge,,,/// heel and toe,,they stub their toe,,,If you can from this description,,er,,,ah,,,tell where its stubing its toe,,,,take a good size file and take a few strokes from mid shoe to tip end of shoe,,,,try to get a little taper on it,,,ya dont need much,,,,and of coarse it depends some on how hard the lining is,,These comments are for inside shoes only,,,,Hope this may help,,,Ben

• 3 weeks later...