Help- this MUST be simple!

Guest flatheadfan

Guest flatheadfan

Need some help on this. I need to remove the headlight lenses on a '35 Dodge, but how? I have unscrewed the screw on the bottom of the shell housing (as far as it will go) and have push the lens inward in a variety of ways hoping the lens will tilt like a tail light lens does. Nothing happens. I must be doing something wrong - HELP!

Thanks

Tom

Guest flatheadfan

Thanks guys for the help. I finally got one off. There seems to be a trick to this. I pressed super hard on the top of the lens. This tilted the lens slightly enough to expose a 1/8" hole on the bottom of the lens. I inserted a small screw driver as a pry and the lens came out. If this is how you are "suppose" to do it, it is fraught with a lot of negatives such as cracking the lens. Is there a better (and safer way), to do this?

Again, thanks guys.

Tom

On my '35 Auburn, you remove a small screw from the bottom of the headlight shell, about an inch back from the bottom leading edge, then press in hard at the bottom of the lens, pushing it into the shell. The top of the lens then tilts out until the edge clears the shell, and then you can pull the lens completely out. The pressure that keeps the lens in place is created by springs at the edge of the reflector that push the reflector outward against the lens. To reinstall, you reverse the procedure. The small screw is essential to preventing the lens from vibrating downward and back on its own, and thus falling out. Perhaps your light is similar.

Also, it is possible that there is a screw at the very back of your headlight shell that needs to be removed. I think later Chrysler products may have this feature.

On my '35 Auburn, you remove a small screw from the bottom of the headlight shell, about an inch back from the bottom leading edge, then press in hard at the bottom of the lens, pushing it into the shell. The top of the lens then tilts out until the edge clears the shell, and then you can pull the lens completely out. The pressure that keeps the lens in place is created by springs at the edge of the reflector that push the reflector outward against the lens. To reinstall, you reverse the procedure. The small screw is essential to preventing the lens from vibrating downward and back on its own, and thus falling out. Perhaps your light is similar.

Also, it is possible that there is a screw at the very back of your headlight shell that needs to be removed. I think later Chrysler products may have this feature.

That is the procedure to remove them on the 1936 Dodge, so yes, it will work for the 1935. I know....you are afraid of cracking the lens. That is just how the manual describes it.

Guest flatheadfan

I gave it a try but evidently I did something very WRONG! The lens cracked on me. So now I am in the market for a lens any leads out there? Or failing that, any thoughts on going to a seal beam conversion?

Thanks

Tom

Guest flatheadfan

Keiser31-

Thank you! This was just the thing I needed! I finally got everything apart (still new a new lens). I think the problem of getting the lenses out was the fact that three of the springs had only one rivet holding them in. I think that was the culprit which was preventing the lenses from tilting. At any rate, they are out and again thanks for the help.

Tom