'40 Convertible T0p Knob Question:

Keith L.

I've reproduced the 1940 Continental Top knob. To order to be correct it takes a 12/32 thread machine screw embedded into it's base. I can not find this size of machine screw anywhere. I am told they do not make this size. Any help locating this size machine screw would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

post-31184-143138240076_thumb.jpg

Tom,

It's a real hard screw to find. I've checked all the hardware stores here in LV.Good luck and thanks for looking.

Length: At least 1/2" or longer. I can cut them down if need be. If I can get five or so of them I'll be set for the big onslaught of '40 convertible top knob customers.

Guest 40-41 connies

I note that Ebay has a thread dye for you to make your own screws.

I think it is 4.99 now.

Thanks,

Pete

Tom,

Good hardware stores that carry not-so-common items and odd sizes are few and far between. Your hardware store must be an independent. Most of the big box stores only carry the common stuff.

Yes, if they still have 12-32, get me six. Let me know cost, shipping and finders fee.

Thanks again,

Keith

Morning Keith,

I took a run to that hardware store and they have all kinds of 12/24 machine screws but no 12/32. I checked the screws I had and they were 12/24 also and used to hold the door window crank stuff inside the door.

The only thing I might suggest is find someone with a lathe and have them turn a piece of bar stock to the 12/32 thread and you can just cut off what you need. I wouldnt think it would be too expensive.

I will keep looking, but that size will be hard to find to say the least. Even the old Ford catalogues I have show only 12/24, weird.

Tom

Edited by Tom Overfield (see edit history)