Dynaflow question

Lockhouse

Hi,

On my '49 Super when I try to go over a bump or kerb in reverse gear and don't give it enough power to climb it there's a huge shuddering from the dynaflow that makes a lot of noise and shakes the whole drivetrain. It's OK reversing on hills etc, but it's just if I have to get over say, a speed hump (or reverse up the kerb onto my drive, that's how I found out about it). Is that normal or indicative of something going wrong and I'm worrying too much?

Thanks,

Andy

Will do thanks! I've been searching the web and it does look like they may well be the culprits.

Business is good too! It's only our first year of trading, so it's been a very steep learning curve but things are going well so far. I also have a day job so we've got as much on as we can handle at the moment. I'm doing a 60th birthday and a prom on Friday using Betty (our '52) and we have a few weddings over the summer months using both cars. It's an absolute pleasure being able to drive them. I just keep telling myself - every job brings me closer to being able to afford a 76C!

Plus we even get to use the girls ourselves sometimes! :)

Thanks again for the reply.

Guest NikeAjax

I have a 1956, so it may be different, but, check to make sure your filters are clean too! You'll have to drop the pan for that... Also make sure your RPM's aren't too high! Is there an adjustment for the rear band? On my '56, I had to cut a hole in the floor to do this, but the alternative is dropping the tranny: no f$#&ing way!

Good luck!

Jaybird

• 3 months later...
Guest cardinal905

Lamar, from a rookie to a veteran. What is a guy looking for on these mounts other than the obvious tearing/shreaded look. do I need to do anything while the car is running to check the condition on both motor and dyna ? I have the same problem.

in most cases the vulcanized rubber just breaks away from the metal base. It's sometimes hard to tell that they are broken but usually they will shift to one side and you can see it. If not, try racing the engine while looking at the motor mounts to see if there is any movement. Or just go ahead and put a 2 X 8 block under the oil pan and using a bottle jack try to lift the engine and see if they separate. Use a pry bar on the tranny to observe if there is any movement between it and the cross brace.

Don't know if a 49 Super would be the same as my 56 Special but on my car the shift lever would jump out of reverse into low on a steep hill which was rather alarming. The cause of this was a failed thrust pad where the rubber was no longer bonded to the metal but looked quite OK until I pulled it out.

There is likely some differences on a 49 but it may also pay to check the adjustment on the rod from the steering column to your transmission.

Koala