Spitzkuhler in Sweden

Vintman

Hi,

Would appreciate help from our Scandinavian contingent on this photo, a tulip bodied phaeton photographed in Sweden. We have narrowed it down to either a Stoewer or a NAG. Would appreciate suggestions to clarify it. Does anybody have a picture of a NAG showing the same side and the break levers?

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143138235217_thumb.jpg

Guest Casper Friedrich

NAG C4, 1920-24. An phaeton from 1923 in a period photo is featured in Werner Oswalds Deutche Autos 1920-45. The spare tyre isn't so forward mounted as in the Swedish example. Also the fenders are larger. Sidevalve four, 2,5 litre producing 30 hp. Amazingly 4 gears forward and 12 volt electrics. 5000 made up to 1927 (includes the overhead valve successor D 4 with gear- and brake levers inside)

The same picture as in Oswalds book can also been found here (the first one):

http://www.ccarshow.net/index.php?page=http://www.ccarshow.net/carmake.php?menu=1&make=3653&back=Y2FybW9kZWwucGhwP21lbnU9MSZhbXA7bW9kZWw9NjAxMQ==

Edited by Casper Friedrich (see edit history)

Thanks guys. I am being out-voted on this one. I was favoring Stoewer beacuse the Stoewer has two leavers both outside and configured very much as in the Swedish photo. NAG (as in Leif's and other pics) seems to have one lever. Does the Deutche Autos photo show two leavers??

Regards

Vintman

Guest Casper Friedrich

It's difficult to be 100 % in this matter, even thought the photo in the book is of better quality than on the web-site I refeered to. But I think it has two levels. One is for the gears, the other rear-wheel brakes. Oswald has quite extensive technical specification for this marque and Handbremse, Mechanisch, Hinterräder is mentioned for the C4. Still I think that the tulip bodied car is a NAG made in Berlin. The wheels have ten spokes, the contemporary Stoewer had twelve.

Hi Casper,

Still fighting my perhaps losing battle: See attached photos. I thought you had the car nailed via the spokes, - but find at bottom two NAG C4s with 10 AND 12 spokes on back! At the top are a couple of Stoewers. I cannot see the marketing rational for making the two makes so similar. Perhaps not so similar in the flesh.

Regards

Vintman

post-58492-143138236294_thumb.jpg